Remortgage - free legal fees

snowey

We are looking at remortgaging our PPR and are currently with Ulster Bank - does anyone know which lenders will cover the legal fees if we move our mortgage. thanks.

See this thread. EBS do, and I believe that NIB do, even though it doesn't say so on their site.

The rate offered by EBS may not be the best value in the long run. NIB are more competitive for most mortgages.

AFAIK, the latest deal from NIB (not listed by brokers, since you can only deal with them directly) is that they'll give you +€600 towards the bill, wherever incurred. But I suspect that lots of lenders have moved recently to offer the same deal or better — even though it might not yet be prominently advertised.

Certainly worth a 'phone call to two or three of the top 10 in the relevant Best Buys list..!

A lot of lenders are now willing to pay the legal fees involved with remortgaging (they might insist on using a company like First American who charge an all inclusive flat fee of €999). EBS, Ulster Bank & IIB Homeloans definitely do and BOS give €1000.

As DrMoriarty mentioned though, not all lenders advertise free switchers so if there is a particular bank/building society that you would like to switch to it wont do any harm to ask if they can come to some arrangement regarding legal fees. I know some agree to split the cost and if the cost is only €999 (using FAs Quickswitch) they would probably pay the full fee.

Bear in mind though that you may have to repay the fee if you decide to pay back or switch your mortgage again within a certain period, usually 5 years.

Back