Relocate to Dublin, Citywest job

500araki

Hi all

We are looking to relocate to Dublin with a family of 2 young kids and no car.

I will be working at CityWest park, on LUAS Red line.

What are nice areas that we could search for a house (or apartment even) for a half a year term? The plan is not to have a car (may rent one only on weekends) so all local amenities have to be near by.

Initially as we are not familiar with the city we are thinking City Center.

Any other alternatives?

Many thanks,

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

It would probably be preferable to have a house rather than apartment for children. The parking of the rented car in an apartment on week-ends only could work out expensive so the house would be better from this aspect also.

The daily, minimum 40 minute commute from city centre to Citywest would be boring so living somewhere like Kingswood or Kilnamanagh might be a good option.

Presumably the children are not school going age yet.

Yep not schooling age yet so we are pretty flexible

Thanks for your reply I will check out options in these locations. Again I would expect the commute from city center to be in the opposite direction but still 40mins is a long commute.

Not that familiar with the area, but my preference would not to live in a city centre apartment with young children. Certainly a house in a suburb near the LUAS line would be better? Shorter commute, better environment for the kids, parking, possibly a garden, and an easy commute to the centre at weekends.
Where are you moving from?

Kilnamanagh or Kingswood would be suitable or how about Kilmainham or Drimnagh. Both closer to town so closer to all amenities. Also nearer to stations such as Heuston/Connolly for weekend trips thus saving on renting a car (although public transport with two small children could be tricky!) Kilmainham in particular is a nice place to live and has lots of young professionals and young families.

I could see a lot of nice areas in the Green part of LUAS line but not much in the red or I was not familiar with.

We are moving from Greece

Those two last areas recommended seem quite nice.

Kilmainham looks nicely located just close enough to the city center and in between the commute. Easy walk to Phoenix park. A few options for Toddler care if needed.

Trick would be to find short term leases rather than minimum 12 month.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I will start looking at some properties over the net before planning a trip to arrange some viewings

You may have some trouble finding a decent house in reasonable area of West Dublin for only six months, except for a big premium.
If you look at daft.ie and click West Dublin rentals there are so few houses.

I may be a snob but there are very few nice family areas that close to most Red Luas stops. If you don't know Dublin then you can't tell by looking at the ads which are the worst areas (although price may indicate). I agree with Ericcson that Kingswood and Kilnamanagh would be the best. And the Red Luas is under 15 mins from CityWest.

Unfortunately in Ireland there are very very few aparments that are suitable for families. Unlike Greek cities nearly everyone in Ireland with kids live (or want to live) in houses.

I don't know if you are Greek -If so, you may be interested to know that the Greek church in Dublin is only a few minutes walk from the Red Luas line (museum stop) and provides weekend children's school, and Greek ladies meet etc. If you do find a nice place in Kilmainham ,2 kms from centre, then you are only one km from the church.
But Kilmainham is a very small area with very little housing to rent. And it can take up to 40 mins to CityWest by that very slow, multi-stop RedLuas.

Before you come say goodbye to the sunshine.....

Kali tychi !

Thanks for your info oldnick

I agree. Regardless if we live in small or big cities in Greece, a lot of us actually live in apartments, even young and old families, that's how most of the cities are build and I don't see that changing in the near future.

Yes I did find out about the Greek church and Greek school in Dublin West. Out kids are still young for schooling but the Sunday church visit would be a regular.

I have to see the areas and get a feel about the location by visiting in daytime and nighttime.

We will stay in the Red Luas so If nothing suitable shows up at the top choices then we just have to move along. I would allow maximum two weeks before the family comes over. It looks like we may have to pay a premium for short time lets but it's everywhere like that.

Thanks

Kilmainham looks nicely located just close enough to the city center and in between the commute. Easy walk to Phoenix park. A few options for Toddler care if needed.

I can vouch for Kilmainham. I live there and find it a safe place to live and it is close to the Luas line. It also has parks and green spaces even closer than the Phoenix park

I dont have children, so I cant say much about schools, etc.

Yes about Kilmainham but almost no chance of a house and little chance of a large apt.

To be bluntly honest - allowing "max of two weeks before family come over" looks very risky. There is much more demand than availability for well located accommodation that is suitable for families -and that's besides the short-term rental problem.

Some parts of Rialto, Inchicore & Drimnagh may also work for you.. all close to Luas Red line & with plenty of local amenities.

One possibility for your situation would be to take a 12 month lease and then break it if needs be - you'd lose your deposit, of course, but it may well be a better option than haplessly searching for a short term lease.

Thanks JohnJay, I did more research and have found some places (at least from looking ads in daft.ie) that I like.

Oldnick, I am sure an apartment would work as well for us, under the circumstances. Kilmainham has easy access to Phoenix park if kids get bored at the apartment.

Leonmahon, thanks for the areas. Rialto looks to be on the other side of St James Hospital.

Also that's a great "tip", if I am running out of options that could be a way to go.

I forgot to mention - though you probably have seen it - the website for Greeks in ireland
www.helleniccommunity.ie
Frankly not that great but sometimes there are small-ads from Greeks about accommodation -plus bits of news of local interest.

Yes, an apt would be O.K. for such a short period. And if you like it here and stay you could always move to a house later on.

Don't hesitate to ask about any area you see. I also came to Ireland for a "short stay". Thirty-two years ago.

From what I hear, the apartments in HSQ are pretty large, but I have never been in them myself.

HSQ is close to the Luas stop at Heuston station. Its also beside the Royal Hospital Kilmainham which has some very nice open spaces. It also has a creche on site.

The downside is that rent there seems pretty expensive. Though most if the development is owned by the banks, so maybe they are deals to be done.

Dont rule out Rialto either, some of the roads close to Kilmainham are very nice, especially the ones with the big old red-bricked houses.

Thanks JohnJay, I did more research and have found some places (at least from looking ads in daft.ie) that I like.

Oldnick, I am sure an apartment would work as well for us, under the circumstances. Kilmainham has easy access to Phoenix park if kids get bored at the apartment.

Leonmahon, thanks for the areas. Rialto looks to be on the other side of St James Hospital.

Also that's a great "tip", if I am running out of options that could be a way to go.

If you are looking for a house and want to be near the Luas I recommend that you look around the Bulfin Estate in Inchicore eg on streets such as Connolly Avenue or Goldenbridge avenue. The houses there are usually 2 or 3 beds and the area is quite settled.
Also in Inchicore you have nice houses around Ring Street and Railway Ave. Might be a good alternative to Kilmainham - if one was needed.

oldnick, you know an awful lot about the greek community , thanks for the pointers. Not large expat community as other countries (Uk/germany etc) but that may beginning to change.
Yes you can never know how "short-stay" moves to permanent stay.

JohnJay, HSQ looks ideal with creche at the same location and a few easy convenient stores. However all my enquiries up to now are not negotiating a 6 month lease.

Macstuff, thanks, Inchicore is a nice alternative close to the center. Will definitely check.

Will post more questions if needed once i find something worth looking.

oldnick, you know an awful lot about the greek community , thanks for the pointers. Not large expat community as other countries (Uk/germany etc) but that may beginning to change.
Yes you can never know how "short-stay" moves to permanent stay.

JohnJay, HSQ looks ideal with creche at the same location and a few easy convenient stores. However all my enquiries up to now are not negotiating a 6 month lease.

Macstuff, thanks, Inchicore is a nice alternative close to the center. Will definitely check.

Will post more questions if needed once i find something worth looking.

As pointed out, 6 month leases are not the norm here and always lead, if available, to a higher rent. Just agree to a 12 month lease and then, if needs be, break the lease before the 12 months. Not ideal but only real solution.

yes 500araki I know a lot about the Greek community....

As a last hint, I suggest popping into the Corfu Restaurant in Parliament Street, the one and only Greek Restaurant in Dublin, where the staff are from Greece and where there's usually a few Greeks hanging about.
(Amazingly in all the time I've been in Dublin there has only been -sporadically -just one Greek restaurant in Dublin)

I would agree with Kilnamanagh or Kingswood, I live in Kingswood and its a lovely area very safe, good schools and park right beside it also the Luas stop is 5 min walk from most of the houses, change at Belgard to go to Citywest.
Houses rent out at anything from 900.00 up to 1400.00, I would definately go for a house rather then an apt with kids.
I own an apt at the square and its rented to a girl, but if you opted for an apt you would have no garden for the kids and also neighbours all around you, the parking space most likely would come with the apt but if not you would have to pay for it.
Drimnagh is okay not my top choice but has the Luas running by it so access to your job.
Happy house hunting !

oldnick, thanks we will definitely visit if we become homesick :)

Treble, I assume this is Kingswood Heighs? I dont see any properties in daft.ie to rent. I guess they don't come up very easy.

Back