Rehoboth Beach, Deleware

Parnell

Just wondering if any of you are familiar with this place-my daughter is going there this summer on a summer visa. Thanks

I was there on a J1 visa what seems like ages ago but might remember a few things - what do you want to know?

Thanks for the reply-is it easy to get to? how far from PHILLY? any other details appreciated

I was just down the road in Ocean City in '95, about 10 miles away, over the Maryland border. Makes me sick to think it was that long ago!!

It's a beach resort that fills up for the summer season with college kids and familys.

Work by day and party by night seemed to be the order of the day there. Really nice place though and very safe. The Irish and English tended to stick together as there usually was a completely different local population every week or two as people returned from holidays. I would say 90% of the jobs like waiters and shop assistants were either Irish or English. If she's under 21 they are very very strict with their alcohol policies. The "fake" driving licence will be copped onto by the pub bouncers fairly quickly!

We flew into JFK and got a bus down from Port Authority Bus Station in Manhattan. Think it took about 4 hours. Philly was a stop on the way down and as far as I remember it was about midway. 2 hours from Ocean City so more or less the same from Rehoboth.

I'm not sure what exactly you want to hear though, everyone in bed at 10pm, no parties etc is not what's gonna happen but you needen't worry. It's a much nicer and safer place than any of the big cities!!! She'll have a great time and I only wish it was me.

No idea from Philly, we traveled form NY. We arrived around midday and were sitting on a bench when a car drove up asking did we want work and a place to stay - that was us sorted ! we stayed and worked for the Budget inn both in Rehoboth and in the sister place out on the highway near the outlet malls. we were chamermaids from 9 til 3 or earlier depending on how many cleans and we all had various other jobs from working as waiters to landscaping to making pizzas to the Xmas shop .... the best jobs go early but if you are too early there are no jobs as work is seasonal........various house are rented out to the "irish". It is fairly small place, very summer orientated, nice long beach with broadwalk. Lively bars not as trashy as europen package holiday spots...but you cant drink unless 21 and that is enforced. One problem that some people found is that there is a strong gay and lesbian presence, with gay bars and a gay section of beach and overtly gay couples, all the girls were fine with this however some of the guys were uncomfortable but now that Ireland is more open this wouldnt be the culture shock taht it was. Overall it is a summer town, i would think it is still safe, with a nice atmosphere, however, it is a little off the beaten track for some people and it is NB to note that your daughter may have to sign contart of work to say that she will stay to labour day - this is restrictive if she wants to travel in the States after making mone for the summer.....

Tell her to move 10 miles down the road to [broken link removed]. Much much bigger place with lots more work available.

Also, as it's like an island (basically a 10 mile strip into the ocean, about 300 metres wide) so it has a bay at one side which is top class for water skiing and leisure boating and the ocean at the other side. Most of Ocean city is only a few hundred metres wide so it's simple to get around and it has a bus travelling up and down the 10 miles on the only highway all day long.

Regarding the contract thing, it was only an incentive for you to stay until then. Basically you got a big bonus if you stayed with your employer until then. Never heard or met anyone who had any issues leaving whenever they wanted though. They just missed out on their bonus if they left.

It can get ridiculously hot there though!

My own son stayed in Ocean City a few years back with four other mates on a J1 visa. They had a great time, looking after the rich American kids that holidayed there over the summer.

Went to Rehoboth in '03, had a great time, fantastic spot. I prefered it to Ocean City because it was smaller. Loads of work there although less Irish and more Eastern Europeans every year apparently.

Back