Reglue laminate furniture

jeananne

I have a problem with the laminate finish lifting off my furniture. It's happening only on the horizontal surface of 7 year old drawers ( custom built to match built-in wardrobes, same problem in each of the bedrooms ).
I have nervously tried using a warm iron to heat/reglue but the result was patchy and didn't last...
Any advice on how to reglue the laminate would be appreciated - and if it's not an option for me to do myself is it something that a tradesman could rectify easily ??? Don't want to change the drawers 'cos otherwise they are fine.

Oh - sorry if this sounds really stupid, but I'm not sure :( .
Just did a google search to help me decide but I'm none the wiser with the definations on wikipedia...
Looking up info. from when the house was built now I'm thinking they were described as beech effect MDF...
It's not "real " wood on any level - the surface looks like a thin sheet of manmade material that was stuck on - and is now lifting off...
Update - it's PVC stuck on MDF :rolleyes:

Get a good quality super glue and this should be more than adequate to stick the laminate back to the MDF. You could try using a small paint brush to be as neat as possible.

Good luck

Thanks Joanne.
I've managed to track down the man who fitted them for us, he said it's a problem with the glue mix used by the manufacturer, he has seen it happen before but mostly in kitchens where a little moisture causes the MDF to swell and snap the glue hold !
Regluing is a possibility but we've decided to replace the top of each of the drawers instead as apparently the manufactuere now uses a different glue/resin mix...time will tell if it's better :rolleyes:
Don't yet know what the cost will be but it's the best longterm soultion.

Back