Registering company website name

M

my2leftfeet

How do I find out which hosting company our domain name is registered with?

Hi guys,
might be slightly off topic, but what is the average price for hosting services per month?

Thanks Ocras - exactly what I was looking for.

Next question - there are four reasonable permutations for our company website name - so I wish to register them all. Where will I find the best value to do this?

the average price for hosting services per month?

That depends largely on how much bandwidth you intend using. (How busy the site is and if files are being downloaded etc)

Domains

Is that for real Ocras? $10! We are being charged €120 per year at the moment.
Glad I asked!

Re: Domains

I've used godaddy for a .com domain without any problems for a couple of years now.

Re: €120

There ya go..........I would have no problem having paid a a web supplier here €30 per annum, but it always leaves a bitter taste when you see that much of a markup having being made.

On the other hand, if they were charging you €120 for an IE domain, then they were making a reasonably small, % mark-up. +/- €40

web design costs

As a web designer myself, I never charge clients extra for purchasing a domain name or hosting.
I use their credit card details to pay for both - at least this way they know straight up I'm not trying to make a quick buck and the money they pay me is purely for my web design services.

Re: web design costs

No reflection on you, but I'd be much more concerned about a web designed asking me for my credit card details than charging me for domain hosting!

Re: web design costs

Just to clarify, before starting any project I explain all the costs to my client - those within my control (web design) and those beyond my control (hosting, domain name).

I would show the client how to purchase both the domain name and hosting online (using their own card).
If the client was not interested in doing this or hadn’t the time I would obviously use my own card and invoice them accordingly (bill just for the hosting and domain - not the time it takes me to do it!!). So this way they can see exactly where their money is going.

All I'm trying to say is I don’t agree with web designers charging over the odds for hosting or domains however I do know that others would use this as a standard business model.

Maybe I'm just too honest to be a web designer??

:)

Back