Registering as a carer

R

rennie

Hi,

I tried citizens information but could not find the correct information. My elderly father has extremely bad health and it at risk of a stroke. I rent my own house but i spend most of my time caring for him and doing his housework, shopping etc.

I don't want to register for carers allowance as i run a small business that i can work from my laptop during the day and am just above the means i think. My father wants me to be a registered carer as he feels it will help my inheritance as he wants to leave me his house. I have another brother who is a very demanding difficult character and does not have my dads best interests at heart at all. He is practically wishing him to the grave so he can get money from him.

My father is terrified that he will have a stroke and become incapacitated, and that my brother will take control, as he is a very successful lawyer so would know a lot more about that stuff than me and is a very dominant and frightening person.. My dad wants the security of knowing that i will have control over his situation, he also wants me to get the house after he is gone. He is afraid my brother will sell the house and put him in a home. I only rent a single room apartment and I want to be able to care for my dad in his home as long as possible.

Is it possible to be listed and acknowledged as a registered carer, or is it only understood through getting carers allowance?
Thank you for reading this and for any help, I would love to put my fathers mind at ease.

Hi Rennie.

Welcome to AAM.

I too am a lone carer, and fully understand the family dynamics you mention. Been there, done that!.

I suggest you apply for Carers Allowance, anyway. Even if your means are too high, if you satisfy the other conditions, you'll receive the annual Non-Means Tested Respite Care Grant of €1,700. Not a King's Ransom, but useful none the less. It's paid on the first Thursday in June, if you're still caring.

It'll take a while for your claim to be processed, so I suggest you apply now. Hope it all works out for you.

By the way, applying for Carers Allowance could surprise you. Even if you earn a little too much to qualify for Full Rate Carers, you could still get a reduced payment. You've nothing to lose by applying, and everything to gain.

Darth.

Back