Refused refund on faulty product

Why did the consumer affairs office refer to your e-mail about a faulty television when it's a car hands free kit that you bought?

Helen posted the original query about the hands free kit. Gauloise posted the correspondence about the TV.

Hi,
Just an update to my progress. I emailed the CEO and a representative from his office replied. Here is an excerpt ..

"As you are unable to return the packaging we are unable to offer a full refund, we can offer you a credit note for the full value of the faulty product as a gesture of goodwill.
Once again I apologise for any inconvienence you feel you may have suffered and hope that as a valued customer of ours, you will continue to use us for any of your future mobile communication needs."

Ha ha! I think they should replace "gesture of goodwill" with "because it's the minumum we are required by law to offer".

I've written back reiterating the events and also saying that I would be lodging a complaint with the small claims court.

I spoke to Consumer Affairs and they agreed that I did not need the packaging to obtain a refund, however I am still waiting on a written response. Gauloise, I wrote directly to your contact and also the contact on the ODCA website.

I'll keep you updated with what happens next.

Well Done Helen - you are doing a very through job following it up!

Representative from CEO office has finally agreed to giving me a refund. :D Thanks all for your support!

Well done. Shame on the vendor for attempting to abrogate your statutory consumer rights though! :mad:

I recently bought a phone in the carphone warehouse. Was back with it after a week as there was a fault with it. Had no packaging. Got it replaced, no quibble. I was actually going in with the intention of trying to quote the 1980 act, but it wasn't even necessary.

Amazing! Which branch was it?
I bought mine in Stephens Green.
Maybe it depends on the product. Part of their argument was that they wouldn't get a refund from the manufacturer if they didn't have the packaging. I know that should have no bearing on me, but maybe that's why they would treat the two cases differently?

Back