Refused for mortgage protection

Mynydd

Hi there,

I know that there are several posts on this, but I am worried sick.

My partner got accepted for mortgage protection, I got refused. We called our mortgage broker if the bank would be prepared to offer a waiver for me. However, the one who deals with us is a couple of days off.

Our insurance broker only deals with Hibernian, so I contacted another one. He thinks that he might be able to do something for me. How likely is that? Is there not a register on which appears that you have been refused? Or they all use different guide lines? I got btw refused because they did not have a 5 year medical history, however they never contacted or asked for details from my neurologist.

Is it likely that the building society (ICS) will issue a waiver?

I am so worried..

Is your partner the main earner? Do you have any existing life cover or death in service benefit from your employer?

Just because you've been declined by one insurance company does not mean all the others will automatically follow suit although yes, the decline will be noted in a central register so you must disclose it on subsequent proposal forms.

Depending on your circumstances ICS may well allow you to waive life cover.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Thanks!

Yes, I have life and disability insurance via work.

Hopefully that might help indeed to get a waiver if I can not get anything at all.

I would try and see if you can get that waiver and failing that you could go back to the life company and find they why exactly why you were refused. It seems to me that they have refused you without fully investigating which is very strange indeed

We were in the same boat - wife could get cover but not me. I am the main earner. In the end the lender waived the need for me to have cover after I showed them evidence (a letter from Hibernian refusing cover) and went ahead with the loan offer

I would second Caladonian Life - have my cover with them and the forms were not detailed at all. The mortgage broker should be able to recommend life assurance companies for you though you may have a loading on the premium. Sometimes appealing refusal will work too. However the mortgage company should be able to do something for you particularly if refusal doesn't apply to the main earner.

Back