Refused 'dole' - didn't appeal at the time

Audrey

My husband is English. Came to Ireland on a contract (English employer, so no Irish PRSI) in 2001. Met me ... etc etc. When his contract ended he became unemployed for a period of 2 years (IT industry went pear-shaped). During that time he visited (once) a 'dole' office to see if he was entitled to anything. The very-nice-and-polite girl behind the counter told him that, as he had no stamps paid here, she couldn't offer him any assistance. We could understand that this might be the case, and took her word and did nothing further about it (not realising that his period of unemployment would last so long, of course). He had NO INCOME whatsoever during the period of unemployment, and no assistance of any kind. We managed on my income. Now, a couple of years on, it occurred to me that surely he was entitled to something! I mean, aren't foreigners coming here all the time (imigrants etc) and they must be getting some sort of assistance, otherwise they couldn't survive. So I sent a letter to the Appeals Section of the Social Welfare Dept. They responded and said they can only address an appeal when a person's application for assistance has been turned down "in writing". We simply took the word of the girl in the 'dole' office and didn't get anything in writing. Does anybody think we have any chance of recouping anything at this stage, and, if so, how and where? Many thanks.

Nope. He should have applied anyways so as to preserve his right to appeal. At this stage you have no grounds as he never applied. One should never accept the word of one person.

bond-007 said:
Nope. He should have applied anyways so as to preserve his right to appeal. At this stage you have no grounds as he never applied. One should never accept the word of one person.
He thought he WAS applying when he went into the Unemployment Office! As the teller/officer was representing the Department, he assumed that she knew what she was talking about. How unfair.

Audrey said:
He thought he WAS applying when he went into the Unemployment Office! As the teller/officer was representing the Department, he assumed that she knew what she was talking about. How unfair.
You are not deemed to have applied until you have completed the claim form and submitted it. It will then be processed and a decision made by a deciding officier. You can then appeal that decision.

The people he spoke to are not deciding officers and they have no power to deny or approve an application. They are only there to accept the paperwork and assist you if you need help completing it.

Audrey said:
My husband is English. Came to Ireland on a contract (English employer, so no Irish PRSI) in 2001. Met me ... etc etc. When his contract ended he became unemployed for a period of 2 years (IT industry went pear-shaped). During that time he visited (once) a 'dole' office to see if he was entitled to anything. The very-nice-and-polite girl behind the counter told him that, as he had no stamps paid here, she couldn't offer him any assistance. We could understand that this might be the case, and took her word and did nothing further about it (not realising that his period of unemployment would last so long, of course). He had NO INCOME whatsoever during the period of unemployment, and no assistance of any kind. We managed on my income. Now, a couple of years on, it occurred to me that surely he was entitled to something!....

I mean, aren't foreigners coming here all the time (imigrants etc) and they must be getting some sort of assistance, otherwise they couldn't survive.

I don't think you're entitled to payback now, but there was a reciprocal arrangement for years where if you had worked in the UK or vice versa you could claim in the other country. I claimed in the UK in late 2001 and had no problems at all. In fact the only reason I originally signed on was to get a National Insurance number quickly. As it happened the pittance of the dole (less than half what it is here) was welcome as it took me 3 months to find work.

However you do say that you survived on your income. If you had an income at the time it would have been taken into account and the chances are he would have got nothing anyway on that account. They are fairly strict on that and even a very modest income would have disqualified him on income grounds.

As for the comment "they must be getting some sort of assistance" you'd be very surprised - and shocked, at how many do not. I've had friends over the years literally survived on nothing but help from friends, loans from back home and goodwill. Its a terrible in this day and age, but I've seen numerous people survive up to 4-5 months on no income at all.

bond-007 said:
You are not deemed to have applied until you have completed the claim form and submitted it. It will then be processed and a decision made by a deciding officier. You can then appeal that decision.

The people he spoke to are not deciding officers and they have no power to deny or approve an application. They are only there to accept the paperwork and assist you if you need help completing it.
Well the person there did not accept paperwork or help with completing it, as she told him there was no point at all in even completing it as he was not entitled to anything!! I'm sorry, but I think this is simply wrong. I will (as Suellen suggested) contact a local politican - nothing ventured nothing gained.
Thanks to all.

Back