refused benefits from welfare

trucker26

my wife was only offered part time after returning from maternity leave, she now only works 12 hours a week is she intitled to benefits. welfare said no but wondering do they ever change their mind on these issues or do i have to accept the decision or even were they wrong. i am in employment

Would you qualify for Family income supplement? Although not welfare related, you should also look at claiming the Revenue Home carers credit, if applicable.

Well the qualification criteria for UA (now Jobseekers Allowance) are clearly set out online if you want to double check.

Whast was the exact reason for refusal. Was is verbal or did she get an official decison stating the reason?

they sent a letter refusing her stating that she was not actively seeking employment and hadnt enough tax credits... what should i do next?

she does 12 hours a week.Seeking work? maybe she filled form saying she wasnt by mistake she has been working continuously for last 8 yrs. not sure on tax credits thing as far as she can remember thats what they said

she does 12 hours a week.Seeking work? maybe she filled form saying she wasnt by mistake she has been working continuously for last 8 yrs.
Yes - but is she genuinely actively seeking and available for work for the remainder of the working week? If not then she definitely will not get JB/JA since that is one of the basic qualifying conditions.
not sure on tax credits thing as far as she can remember thats what they said
Doesn't make any sense to me for Welfare to be talking about tax credits.

For what it's worth has she checked if she was due any tax back? Check out the Form P50 and/or request a P21 balancing statement from Revenue for 2006 (and other years if necessary).

Form P50 - First Claim for Repayment During Unemployment

going back to your original query, was your wife's terms and conditions changed after she returned from maternity leave to the same job? is that not illegal? or have i read your post incorrectly? did she start in a different job part-time?

She still works for same company but she asked to go part time until she got child minder sorted. She is now available for full time but cant get it and is looking for full time work can she re-apply or will they just refuse her.

She still works for same company but she asked to go part time until she got child minder sorted.
Not quite what you said originally?
my wife was only offered part time after returning from maternity leave
She is now available for full time but cant get it
With her current employer?
and is looking for full time work
Then she should probably dispute Welfare's decision that she is not actively seeking or available for work.
can she re-apply or will they just refuse her.
She may need to appeal the decision:

Appeals Office

Back