Refuse Charges - check your bills - particularly the number of lifts you are being charged for

Not particularly useful with 6 persons living in the house and would work out quite a bit more than.......

In fairness 6 is more than double the average household size :)

I'm on the not advertised pay-as-you-go plan with Thorntons, €70 annual service charge and then €10.50 per €40kg black bin, €1.75 for green.

Did anyone else notice a sneaky unannounced price increase from Greyhound during the year on their fixed price deal?
I was on the €22.50 per month, but I noticed the DD had gone up to €24.50 per month in the summer. I queried it recently, and they said that they had sent out details by email, but I had nothing like that - just their periodic blurb mailshot. They brought it back down when I queried it.

Was it just me?

They do this every year. Up the price but bury the news in one of their monthly newsletter emails. Very underhand.
I threatened to leave this year after being with them from day one and so they dropped me down to the new customer price to keep me.

Announcement from Greyhound of a monthly €2.99 increase in their plans. Jump of 16% for me.
Kicks in in less than a month too, on 1st March

Thanks @Delboy I didn't notice that.

I had a look at my account, and I noticed a charge of €5.50 for "Extra Charge: Compost Charge". I went to the on-line chat and was told that it was part of my plan. I wasn't aware of that, so I asked for the full list of charges. The following was provided:

• 20 EUR per quarter service charge
  • 5.50 EUR compost charge per quarter
  • 3.50 EUR Black bin lift charge, 31 cents per KG
  • 3 EUR for the Brown bin lift charge, 23 cents per KG
  • 15 cents per KG for the Green bin

I asked if there were any other plans that might suit me, and I was told:

"Looking at your usage, we have 26.50 EUR per month plan available. You get 95 KG weight limit on the Black bin per month. No weight limit on the Green and Brown bin.". I asked what the charge was if I used more than 95KG on the black bin and was told it was 30 cent per KG.

Last year (2021), I paid just over €420 for the full year. With this "new" plan, my yearly bill should come in at around €318, so a saving of just over €100. Does anybody have Sean Fleming's email so I can let him know I've shopped around and made this saving? :)

Announcement from Greyhound of a monthly €2.99 increase in their plans. Jump of 16% for me.
Kicks in in less than a month too, on 1st March
Nothing here from Greyhound, though they missed me on a previous increase notice too. Their marketing blurb gets through fine though.

Are you in Dublin?

Does anyone have details of Panda's charges? They seem to be remarkably opaque.

Nothing here from Greyhound, though they missed me on a previous increase notice too. Their marketing blurb gets through fine though.

Are you in Dublin?

Does anyone have details of Panda's charges? They seem to be remarkably opaque.
Yes, Dublin.
The price rise announcement, as usual, was buried deep down in a 'newsletter' email they sent the other day

Thanks @Delboy I didn't notice that.

I had a look at my account, and I noticed a charge of €5.50 for "Extra Charge: Compost Charge". I went to the on-line chat and was told that it was part of my plan. I wasn't aware of that, so I asked for the full list of charges. The following was provided:

• 20 EUR per quarter service charge
  • 5.50 EUR compost charge per quarter
  • 3.50 EUR Black bin lift charge, 31 cents per KG
  • 3 EUR for the Brown bin lift charge, 23 cents per KG
  • 15 cents per KG for the Green bin

I asked if there were any other plans that might suit me, and I was told:

"Looking at your usage, we have 26.50 EUR per month plan available. You get 95 KG weight limit on the Black bin per month. No weight limit on the Green and Brown bin.". I asked what the charge was if I used more than 95KG on the black bin and was told it was 30 cent per KG.

Last year (2021), I paid just over €420 for the full year. With this "new" plan, my yearly bill should come in at around €318, so a saving of just over €100. Does anybody have Sean Fleming's email so I can let him know I've shopped around and made this saving? :)
It'd take some amount of waste to get over 95kg in a month. You'd need to have an awful lot of nappies going in every day!

That's pretty high all right, but that's what he put in the chat. Maybe he meant 95kg per quarter?

Back