Refuse Charges - check your bills - particularly the number of lifts you are being charged for

Ger1966

Hi all,

For those of you who have on-line billing with you refuse provider, just a quick suggestion to check the number of lifts they're charging you for.

I've noticed 2 instances in the last couple of months where they're charging me for 2 extra lifts. I don't believe it's a deliberate effort by the refuse company to overcharge thought. What appears to have happened is that when they emptied my black bin and put it down, it wasn't fully emptied, so they lifted it again. As a result, I was charged for 2 "black bin" lifts instead of 1. Something similar happened for my green bin i.e. not fully emptied after the first lift so they lifted it again and fully emptied it but charged me for 2 lifts instead of 1.

I got on to the company and they've credited my account with the amount for the extra lifts. It's not a lot of money, but it's better in my account than in theirs.

Thanks for this Ger.
Can I ask which bin company or which part of the country?
I'm in Dublin Arthur and it was Greyhound.

As I said in my original post, I don't believe it was a deliberate attempt to overcharge. Once I pointed this out to them, they credit my account.

For us the problem was that one day our black bin was inadvertently swapped with a neighbour's. They were a large family and took their bins out every week for 1-2 per month in our case. I think the culprit was another neighbour bringing our empty bins into our drives trying to be neighbourly.

Bin charges seem reasonable in dublin -basic package - 3 bins -3 euro / week.

Is this ‘extra’ lift in post an additional fee ?
My charges are as follows DublinStudent
Recycling - 15 cent per KG - no "per lift" charge - + VAT
Compost - 23 cent per KG - €3 "per lift" charge - + VAT
"Regular" Refuse - 31 cent per KG - €3.50 "per lift" charge - + VAT

Perfect - what does that work out for you on a monthly or annual basis ..
Google any of the dublin based contractors and their packages are from 150 euro / year....
It depends on usage, but my charges average around €130 per 3 months.

It depends on usage, but my charges average around €130 per 3 months.
€520 a year is a lot, 4 living in this Dublin house, black bin lifted every 2nd week, final 3 monthly Panda invoice came in recently, total paid for the year €340.

When I checked things out - I was able to find multiple operators who offered service for c. 150 euro / year

Perhaps you might be good enough to share with us even one or two of these 'multiple operators' who offer a useful service for the price you mention, please?

€520 a year is a lot, 4 living in this Dublin house, black bin lifted every 2nd week, final 3 monthly Panda invoice came in recently, total paid for the year €340.
Hi twofor1, I'd love to see the Panda charges. Would you be able to post them?

We're a family of 5 in Dublin. I tried to move to Panda a couple of years ago, but they weren't taking on any new customers in our because they said that their lorries couldn't take any more waste. I must follow up with them again and see if this is still the case.

Few years ago we asked Panda to take the brown bin back as we don’t use it, they never took it back but now don’t apply the service charge for it. As it is not used I don’t know how much the service, Kg or lift charge is.

There might not be any service charge for the green bin, invoice does not specify, just says service charge €64 per year plus VAT @ 13.5%

Recycling is charged @ €0.045 per kg and €0.80 per lift, VAT @ 13.5% applies to both.

General waste is charged @ €0.277 per kg and €3.20 per lift, VAT @ 13.5% applies to both.

Last edited:
Few years ago we asked Panda to take the brown bin back as we don’t use it, they never took it back but now don’t apply the service charge for it. As it is not used I don’t know how much the service, Kg or lift charge is.

There might not be any service charge for the green bin, invoice does not specify, just says service charge €64 per year plus VAT @ 13.5%

Recycling is charged @ €0.045 per kg and €0.80 per lift, VAT @ 13.5% applies to both.

General waste is charged @ €0.277 per kg and €0.80 per lift, VAT @ 13.5% applies to both.
Panda has no service charge for the green bin and it's €3.20 per lift for general waste, at least in DLR.

Not an expert here - but my family had a long standing collector and didn’t question the rates. When I checked things out - I was able to find multiple operators who offered service for c. 150 euro / year and we seem to be within that rate - despite being a family household of 4 adults
Who in Dublin offers waste collection for 150 a year, genuinely interested, my panda bills are only increasing over the last few years.

Strangely this has also happened to me in the last few months on two occasions and last year too, bins with AES Bord na Mona.

My usage (weight) for first 10 months of 2020 are as follows:

Recycling - 267 KG
Compost - 556.5 KG
"Regular" refuse - 356.5 KG

Paying 25e per month for both waste and recycling bins in midlands area with oxigen, anyone have cheaper suggestions?

Just scrutinised my bills and lifts for the past few months and while it looked like one day had 2 recycling lifts, when I checked my bill I have only been charged for the one lift. I'd never have thought to check the bills. They come via email and I rarely go into the account. I'll keep a closer eye in future.

So technically it’s between 2.92 euro and 3.40 euro.

Obviously we will be happy to be your friend http://thorntons-recycling.ie/refer-a-friend/

Forget about the 'refer a friend' lark, Thorntons 'Eco lite' is €177 a year min.
On this plan if your general waste is over 12.5 Kg per lift you are charged an addition 25c per KG.
Not particularly useful with 6 persons living in the house and would work out quite a bit more than........
I was able to find multiple operators who offered service for c. 150 euro / year

Thorntons themselves even state.....'Suitable for 1-3 Person Households '.

Back