Refund onto a credit thru sterling

sully

Hi There,

just wondering if you get a refund onto a credit card do they or are you entitled also to a refund of the FX charges as well?

cheers,
Sully.

Not sure but in the past I've got a US $ refund and x-rate was in my favour so refunded amount was larger than original transaction!

I think you take the hit (or gain). It would be up to the seller to make good any fx differences, but I feel they would be unlikely to do so, as it is up to them to invoice in whatever currency they wish and for you to choose whether or not to buy based on this. If you paid them GBP£50 for an item, that is what they will refund. It's not really their concern if you have to convert this to euro. It may even be covered in their terms of business.

I recently lost out on this myself.

I have CC accounts with several UK betting sites, whenever I withdraw in sterling I get the current ex rate. Its considered a merchant refund no different to getting money back on faulty goods so I guess youd have to pick up ex rate as theyre giving you back the same amount as you gave them, currency notwithstanding.

Quick aside, anyone else know that CC companies (at least AIB) dont see this as a payment. e.g. CC bal = 500 euro, 300 of is to paddy power. withdraw 400 back to CC so bal = 100, CC company will say you havent made any payments, youve just got a merchant refund and they'll still charge you interest on the 500 (happened to me). To pursue this with them I withdrew over the balance from PPs so I was in credit with them and I asked them did I still owe them money, noone (had manager on phone) was able to give me an answer but were admant that as long I was i had a DR bal I owed them the full amount.

Back