Refund of travel insurance ?

S

Silvera

I have just returned to Ireland after 9 months of backpacking in Oz and New Zealand.

Before I departed in January, I took out a 2 year travel insurance policy (didn't know how long I would be away! :) ) and the leaflet with the policy stated/states - "Premium refund if you come home earlier than planned and have not made a claim".

I contacted the company today and they told me "...we stopped giving refunds in October 2003..."

Where do I stand on this ?

I believe that I am entitled to a refund of the 13 months remaining on the policy (c.€300+), but they say this is not the case ?!

> the leaflet with the policy stated/states

Whatever about what the leaflet says what does the legally binding contract/policy document say about such refunds?

travel insurance

Thanks suellen !

The contract itself only refers to a 14 day period, from the date of issue of the insurance, in which you may request a refund if you are not happy with the policy and have not actually travelled.

There are several names listed (in the UK) to which policyholders may lodge any complaints.
I intend to write to these in the first instance, and if unsuccessful, will apply to the ombudsman.

I was wondering if anybody else here had to deal with a similar situation ?

Are insurance companies required by law to refund unused periods of insurance policies ?

Back