Refund of taxes - Ryanair

Homer

My wife and I are due to travel to Faro on Sunday, but have decided to cancel. I spent about an hour online the other day in order to talk to someone on their webchat service. He confirmed that I can't actually cancel the flight and that no refund is available. My only options are to change to another flight, which I can do up to 2 hours before the flight is due to leave or just don't show up for the flight, as I can't actually cancel it.

If I do the former, I have to pay any difference in fares plus an exorbitant €45 each way per flight. If I do the latter, I then have 31 days to submit a claim for a refund of any taxes. This refund is subject to an administration charge of €20 per person. He was unable (or unwilling?) to advise how much these taxes are. I have tried in vain to find this information online and my booking confirmation does not show any split.

i'd be most grateful if anyone could tell me where or how I might determine what the amount of any refund would be. I know I can find out by submitting a claim, but by then, it will be too late to do anything about it.

Normally it says it on the confirmation email you received when you booked. Base amount and then taxes/charges - that should give you a ballpark amount anyway. As an example, recently on E700 flight, my taxes/charges were E121.

I had the same conversation with them today; it doesn't say anywhere on the confirmation email what proportion of the fare is taxes, and I tried running through the booking process again and it doesn't tell you there either. So I guess you just submit the claim and see if you get anything back (I don't think the charge is payable when you make the claim so you've nothing to lose https://refundclaims.ryanair.com/).

I have to laugh at the way they describe it as a "reasonable" charge of €20 per passenger, yeah right.

I didn’t get any split whatsoever on my confirmation email. The amount of taxes seems to be a closely guarded secret and I guess I’ll only find out how much when I submit my claim.

AFAIK, there are no Irish taxes on flights.

There used to be a Departure Tax, but not any more.

I often think the wrong language/words are being used by airlines.

I suspect most "taxes" are airport charges.

Back