Key Post Refund of Health Levy if you earned less than €26,000 in 2008

Brendan Burgess

Founder
If you earn more than €500 in any week, you will pay a 2% Health Levy which is part of your PRSI/Health Levy

However, if your earnings for the full year are under €26,000 you can claim a refund.

Example
Johnny returned to Ireland on 1 September and earned €5,000 a month or €20,000.
Health Levy deducted: €400

To get the refund, send the following letter and your P60 to the Refunds Section.

(Alternatively, your employer's payroll package may automatically print out a form called PRSI REF 1, which you can use)

Further Information from The PRSI Refunds Section: 01 673 2586

Department of Social & Family Affairs
PRSI Refunds
Oisin House
Pearse St.
Dublin 2.

Name:
PPS no:

Please make an under the ceiling refund of the Health Levy paid during 2008. I enclose my P60.

Signed:

Address:

If I reclaim those payments back, does it have any impact on my payments towards things such as Maternity Benefit, Dental etc. to claim in the future ?

(And thank you!)

No, those benefits are based on your PRSI contributions which are separate to the Health Levy which Brendan is talking about.

The Health Levy was a "temporary tax" (!) introduced to help support the ailing health service......

If a body earns less than €352 p.w. on average,in 2008, I understand refund of Health Levy is due, but is there also a refund of PRSI due?

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I rang the dept this morning to check the status of my application and there is a 6 month backlog for processing.

Best Regards,m.

There are hundreds of thousands of these cases all over the country! Also the new income levy will have the same issues as this levy is paid on a week one basis. You pay in the weeks you go over the limit and you dont in the weeks you are under - likewise the rates change on a week by week basis. This will lead to thousands of refund claims. How will the Revenue staff cope? Who ever thought this up?

If you earn more than €500 in any week, you will pay a 2% Health Levy which is part of your PRSI/Health Levy

However, if your earnings for the full year are under €26,000 you can claim a refund.

Example
Johnny returned to Ireland on 1 September and earned €5,000 a month or €20,000.
Health Levy deducted: €400

To get the refund, send the following letter and your P60 to the Refunds Section.

(Alternatively, your employer's payroll package may automatically print out a form called PRSI REF 1, which you can use)

Further Information from The PRSI Refunds Section: 01 673 2586

Do any other conditions apply to PRSI Refund or purely based on income threashold? Would PRSI refund be given as part of annual tax return? I've already sent P60 along with my tax return form last month. Is it necessary for me to send another P60 if I want to apply for PRSI refund? Can I claim PRSI refund for 2007, 2006? Or only previous tax year?

sorry about all the questions? I am very confused after reading a couple of threads on this. Hope someone can enlight me.

I assume for a couple who are jointly taxed that this is not applicable if say one was unemployed for some of year and other person was earning more than double the 26000euro?

I assume for a couple who are jointly taxed that this is not applicable if say one was unemployed for some of year and other person was earning more than double the 26000euro?

Assuming the above is wrong......and if the unemployed person had a medical card , also send in copy too.

Read this below carefully. If the earnings for the lower earner fluctuate then there is every possibility of a refund .( fluctuate been the definitive word )

Where an employees weekly pay fluctuates above and below €500, but the annual pay during 2008 is not more than €26,000, the employee may claim a refund of the 2% Health Contribution deduction, or where an employees weekly pay fluctuates above and below €1,925, but the annual pay during 2008 is not more than €100,100, the employee may claim a refund of the 0.5% Health Contribution deduction from the

I have created an Excel spreadsheet (available at taxcalc.eu) which has a page that helps you calculate such refunds (as well as net pay per week/fortnight/month).

You need to enter pay details (per week/ fortnight/ month as you choose) and tax credit/ SRCOP data. Possible refunds will be shown on one of the worksheets.

If anyone uses it and has suggested improvements feel free to send me a PM

So if someone is on an annual salary of €22k say, and not on fluctuating pay , ie get paid a monthly amount, would this be done automatically? Or should they still apply for the refund?

The Excel spreadsheet is available here

Brendan- feel free to include the spreadsheet in this key post thread or similar

If you're on €22000 gross you shouldn't be having the Health Contribution deducted from your pay. You will however be paying PRSI- I calculate a monthly PRSI amount of €51.29

If by chance it is being deducted you need to apply to the address given at the top of this thread.

thanks deadlyduck, spreadsheet is excellent.. although my income is under 26000, there is no refund due after entering all the details.

How does this health levy and PRSI in general work for couples who are jointly assessed ?

For example - the threshold for paying PRSI in the budget has been increased from 52K to 75K. Is this figure for each individual yearly pay ?
or do I add both my wife's and my income together ?

The company I work have not paid my PRSI so I have no P60. I earned under €26,000 last year so I should be able to claim back the health levy. Does anyone know what I can do about not having my P60 yet?

Hello,

I earned €24,800 in 2008 and received €2,000 maternity benefit from the state. Am I entitled to claim a refund of Health Levy as my earnings are under the threshold or does the maternity benefit payments bring me over the threshold.

Thanks for your help.

Zago

Back