Refund of DIRT for medical expenses, etc?

knockshe

If the only income I have is deposit interest, on which I pay DIRT, am I entitled to some refund of this DIRT for tax deductible items such as medical expenses, health insurance, etc.? Also, as I wouldn't be in the 40% tax bracket, would I be entitled to a refund?

I've never heard of anyone claiming this ... but the omens do not look good so far.
You might have to take the unpleasant step of actually phoning the Revenue for a definite answer, never a fun or fast experience.
(Let us know the answer if you do as it never occurred to me previously to do this...)

The only place I could find DIRT and tax credits noted side by side on Revenue site is here in Section 6 and specifically applies to Over 65s claiming exemption from DIRT:
http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/dirt/leaflets/de1.html

"If your total income is greater than the exemption limit but your tax credits etc. are such that you would be entitled to a partial or full repayment of DIRT, you can apply to Revenue for a refund of DIRT at the end of the year."

ps note that social welfare payments, including state pension, are considered as taxable income by Revenue.

Back