Refitting alarm contacts.

Mojos

Recently upgraded windows in house from timber frame to "A" rated PVC windows. Negotiated a good price for this so was well pleased. However, there were alarm sensors on the original window frame which now have to be refitted on the PVC frames.

The company that installed the original alarm is looking for €40 per window (7 windows in all) in addition to a €90 call out fee to refit the sensors. This quotation appears to be expensive to me for what I consider should be a straight forward job.

Is this a reasonable price and should I stick with the original alarm supplier or would it be worth my while to get other quotations?

Grateful for any advice.

Am unable to comment on the price. However, please bear in mind that if you have a burglary and the Insurance Company find that you have used an Alarm company that does not have accreditation, you might have bother on a claim. Don't mean to frighten you or anything.

When you say €40 per window is that per contact or is there more than one on each window. €90 call out & €20-€25 per new contact is about right.
Another thing to bear in mine with insurance is cerification is invalid if work is not carried out by licenced installers or system has not been serviced in the past year.

Thanks for replies. The price quoted is €40 per window not per contact.

It's a very simple job if you stand back and look at it. When you open up the w/c just take note of the way the wiring's done and simply remove and replace yourself on the new windows. It's too easy of money for them boys to make, don't fall short to them.

It's a very simple job if you stand back and look at it. When you open up the w/c just take note of the way the wiring's done and simply remove and replace yourself on the new windows. It's too easy of money for them boys to make, don't fall short to them.
If it is stated on your home insurance that you have an alarm installed to EN50131 (Or IS199) then following this advice would be very foolish.
Any work carried out by anyone who is not PSA licenced instantly renders the system no longer up to the required standard. This is a nice angle for your insurance company to render any future claim null & void. In the current climate I am hearing this at least once a month. (Even in cases where the system has not been serviced in over a year)
A big risk & a big price to pay for a couple of hundred euro.

Back