Referencing a liquidated company in new business venture

Buddyboy

Hi,
don't know if this is "Ask about law", but as it's business related I've posted it here. Mods - move if you think it is necessary.

The question I have is as follows (I've changed the scenario slightly, but not the fundamentals).

Lets say there was a very famous Saddler in Ballybeg. It operated for 50 years but has been liquidated in the 80's. It was very well known and called Ballybeg Saddlery. It had a very destinctive saddle style, but to my knowledge the style was not copywrited (but you would recognise it as coming from Ballybeg Saddlery if you saw it).

So, what are the implictions if I want to start up a business, say a cafe, in Ballybeg, and I want to call it "The Saddlery", and use a picture of the saddle in my logo.

Are there any issues? I am obviously using some of the cache of the original business, but since they are closed down for 30 years then what's the harm? I think it would add value to my new business as the locals would recognise it as a "local" business and feel a sense of pride/ownership.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Well Buddyboy,

Think you would be safe enough using the name and logo. Time and the fact that the company was struck off the register, can't see anyone causing any issue.

Good luck.

Back