Redundancy once a year-how does this affect my Job Seekers Benefit?

D

Drumraven

About 6 years ago, my husband was made redundant after nearly 20 years working as an engineer in the electronics manufacturing industry. Since then he has been made redundant again every year or every other year (it's not him, honest-usually the company goes out of business). Now, we've accepted due to his age and the current employment market he may not find a new job quickly. My concern is that he may only be entitled to a short period of Job Seekers benefit because of his recent employment history-can anyone clarify this for me? His last claim was 2 years ago.

Re: Redundancy once a year-how does this effect my Job Seekers Benefit?

The conditions for receipt of Jobseeker's benefit from October 2008 are as follows:

1st condition: Have 104 weeks PRSi paid.

2nd Condition: Have 39 weeks paid or credited in the governing year (this is 2006 for claims up to end of this year, 2007 from January onwards)

Payment will be paid for 12 months if 260 or more weeks PRSI have been paid since starting first ever employment or 9 months if less than 260 paid.

Thanks for the reply-unfortunately 2006 was the last time he was made redundant. Do redundancy payments count for the purposes of contributions?

Thanks for the reply-unfortunately 2006 was the last time he was made redundant. Do redundancy payments count for the purposes of contributions?

Redundancy is not relevant. As stated above, he needs at least a combination of 39 paid (i.e. contributions when he was working) or credited (i.e. credits for each week he signed on). He should have these if he signed when he was off work.

Thanks Welfarite. I hadn't realized that he accrued credit for signing on-though I suppose I should have as I knew that Job Benefit counted towards state pension contribution. There are now two much less worried people in Munster!

Back