Redundancy & jobseekers benefit question.

BoscoTalking

Hi there I’ve been looking at the citizens advice website and it says that there would be delays of up to 9 weeks for people whose jobs are been made redundant. It’s related to the amount of money / lump-sum the person receives. Can anyone tell me, is this the gross or net amount? this relates to someone that is 52 years old and so I think it applies...

From the Jobseeker Benefit Operational Guidelines on welfare.ie

A person, who has been made redundant, shall be disqualified from receiving JB for a period of up to 9 weeks from the last date of employment where:
  • person is under age 55, AND
  • have received or are entitled to a payment in excess of a prescribed amount, (currently €50,000.00) under the Redundancy Payments Acts or under an agreement with his/her employer. This amount includes the gross amount of all payments in respect of the redundancy, e.g. statutory redundancy, top-up or ex-gratia payments related to weeks of service, early encashment of pension entitlements (if from employer's funds), and any other money received under an agreement with the employer.
Note the following are not included:
  • Encashment of pension entitlements with an independent insurance company if the person has paid into an insurance fund on a voluntary basis (i.e. independently of the employer).
  • Payments made under legislation governing Local Government, Civil Service, or State superannuation schemes.
  • Compensation awards under terms of Minimum Notice legislation (money paid in lieu of notice, or accrued holiday entitlements).

Back