Redundancy for a director

EnRoute

I have a small company and my wife is the 2nd director. Until 2 years ago, her only role was fulfilling the requirement to have a 2nd director and signing returns.
For the last 2 years, she has also been permanently employed by our company, gets paid monthly and is PRSI class A1. That will finish in a couple of months time. Is it possible to make her redundant and pay her a severance lump sum, but still keep her in her non-executive director role? There isn't really anyone else who I'd like or who could perform the role.

Is her role being made redundant? Then yes she would be entitled to a redundancy - I would be asking accountant for advice if you’re considering over the statutory amount. Her employment then becomes terminated on ROS
She can remain as a non executive director - the 2 are separate
(Not a professional so hope the above is correct!)

Thanks and es she was employed by the company for a specific project with another company and that project is now coming to an end. I'll be checking with the accountant but wanted to confirm there was a possibility of redundancy before engaging with them.

I'll be checking with the accountant but wanted to confirm there was a possibility of redundancy before engaging with them.
You really need to be talking to your accountant about important things like this. They know (or should know) the circumstances behind your question. We can only guess. If you're unhappy with what they tell you or wish to seek a second opinion here, by all means post your query here.

Back