Redundancy - Cansomeonecheck figures please

U

Unregistered

Hi

My sister is being made redundant shortly. She is well paid (i.e. weekly salary is approx €2 k) and will only be getting statutory redundancy.

Statutory redundancy is 2 weeks salary for every year in current job (she is there 4 years) , plus 1 week. The ceiling on statutory redundancy is only €600 perweek.

I make her statutory redundancy €600 (max.weekly ceiling) x 2 (weeks) x 4 (years) +600 (1 week) = € 5,400.

There is absolutelynopossibility of ex gratia payments etc.

The dilemma is however, that she would be better off being 'let go' or even fired (I don't mean for 'gross misconduct'), rather than claiming redundancy,as she would be guaranteed at least a month's salary free of tax i.e. €8,000.

Are my calculationcorrect, any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Thanks

G

Company would be hardly likely to agree to just let her go as if they make her redundant (and your figures are correct) they can reclaim 60% of the figure they pay her.

But they shouldn't have any latitude in relation to how they handle this - either the position (not the person) is redundant in which case redundancy applies or it's not in which case they must fire her. She/they can't arbitrarily pick and choose which course of action to take as far as I know.

Back