Redundancy and new employment question

rohit_dublin

Hi,

I have general question related to redundancy and starting a new job.

If I made redundant after 30 days consultation period on X date and X date is given as last working day and from X Date 6 weeks notice period is paid as payment in-lieu. I have below questions

a) I believe my employment ends on X date as I will be given payment in-lieu of notice. ( Yes/No)
b) Can I start new job on X date as I will not be doing anything on X date in the old job? Are there any tax or redundancy implications if I start new job on the same date when employment ends?

Thanks

Congrats on having a new job lined up so quickly.

a) yes, X date is your termination date
b) can't see an issue with your plan to start the new job on X date - many people have 2 jobs etc. unless there is something in your contract about handing stuff back to old employer OR gardening leave provisions (pay in lieu of notice is NOT gardening leave).

Remember to update your profile with revenue for your next job, so that you don't end up on emergency tax etc.

Is it not the case that last working day and termination date are different in this scenario? I would have thought that you are being paid for your notice period but not being expected to work it and the termination date would then be at the end of the 6 week period?

Congrats on having a new job lined up so quickly.

a) yes, X date is your termination date
b) can't see an issue with your plan to start the new job on X date - many people have 2 jobs etc. unless there is something in your contract about handing stuff back to old employer OR gardening leave provisions (pay in lieu of notice is NOT gardening leave).

Remember to update your profile with revenue for your next job, so that you don't end up on emergency tax etc.
Thanks Ginsila for your reply. cheers

Back