Redundancy and Job Seekers Allowance

Esropl

Hi,
I am being made redundant at end of month. When I go to my local social welfare office, can someaone advise if the "wait period" to receive job seekers allowance is based on the gross redundancy payment or the net redundancy payment? There doesn't appear to be any information on citizens information about this. The wait to be eligible to the job seekers allowance is substantial should the social welfare consider the gross redunancy payment over the net redundancy payment. Any advice gladly received.

See: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...nts/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

Although this doesn't answer your specific question, I'm not sure it matters: the length is discretionary and the periods mentioned are maximums. I would visit your local Dept Social Protection office, and ask. I've found them very understanding and helpful to deal with. I know this is just one person's experience, but I can't see what you have to lose by asking.

It won't matter. This will be based on what contributions you paid in 2013. Then it is Jobseekers benefit which is not means tested. You don't have to declare your redundancy figure. What I would suggest is getting a letter from your company to explain you are being made redundant. There should be no waiting period then.

I always thought there was an extra delay if your letter from your employer said you were taking voluntary redundancy as opposed to being made compulsory redundant. Is this correct?

It depends. You're really at the mercy of the deciding officer. The really easy way around it is to take a week sick leave and then your claim is linked with no waiting period.

It won't matter. This will be based on what contributions you paid in 2013. Then it is Jobseekers benefit which is not means tested. You don't have to declare your redundancy figure. What I would suggest is getting a letter from your company to explain you are being made redundant. There should be no waiting period then.

Not my experience You are asked the redundancy amount by welfare

Back