Reducing working hours due to disability

McStuffins

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with a progressive disability last year and am currently in full time employment. I missed a number of weeks last year (pre-diagnosis) and was on illness benefit.
I applied for disability benefit in January and heard back this week that I was denied based on being less than 5 euro per week over on the means test. I have missed 6 days work already this year which were paid and am scheduled for another 4 days of tests and 3 days of treatment before the end of the year which will be unpaid (and I can't claim illness benefit as these are scattered over the next 3 months).

So I was going to appeal the disability.
However I am struggling with the full time hours and was also considering reducing to 32 hours a week (currently working 39).
Prior to June I was getting a minimal FIS payment of €20 per week. When I submitted my renewal I was advised I would have to wait for the outcome of the disability claim before FIS would process my renewal.

So now I'm not sure what to do. I'd struggle on my wage alone if I reduce to 32 hours. Disability appeals can take eons (it took 9 months for the initial claim).

What I was thinking of was reducing my hours and claiming FIS and just not bothering with disability allowance at all. The main reason I was wanting to claim disability was just so I could apply for a travel pass as going to and from my appointments and treatment is costing me a fortune. But if I'm going to remain in work I am thinking FIS is the way to go?

Any advice? I'm a bit perplexed by what the best thing to do would be. I should also add that I am a single parent to one child (over the age for claiming one parent family allowance), earning ~€27000 per annum full time. I have a full medical card and have been in full time employment for 8 years. I also need to know how reducing to 32 hours would affect illness benefit eligibility as it's quite probable I will be off work for bouts of time over the next few years due to this disability.

Thanks

Have a look at this link there maybe something in it for your situation

Hope things workout OK for you

[broken link removed]

Once you continue to pay the A class of PRSI (which you will if you're working 32 hrs per week) your future entitlement to Illness Benefit will remain.

The option to reduce your hours and move to FIS sounds like a good one, if it's feasible for you financially.

If you claim Illness Benefit in the future, your FIS payment is only payable with Illness Benefit for 6 weeks, after that it stops until you return to work.

If you are on Illness Benefit for 6 months, and wish to return to work in a part-time capacity, you can apply for Partial Capacity Benefit (PCB) which pays a portion of the Illness Benefit rate in addition to your salary. This doesn't apply in your situation now, but may in the future. Note that you couldn't get PCB and FIS at the same time.

Back