Reducing Estate Agent Fees....

L

Lansdowne

Well the house is going up for sale - we've decided against a DIY job and will be engaging an estate agent to sell for us most probably at Auction.

Due to a number of factors including we want a quick sale and the health is'nt too good.

After buying the place 5 years ago for €400k we've been advised its now worth close to €1.2 -Crazy I know -(wished we'd had the money to buy two!)

Anyway, most of the Estate Agents are quoting around 1.5% and are'nt interesting in budging much on their commissions

Does anyone have any advice to give, know the Estate Agents that are willing to negotiate on commission?

the house is in Blackrock in Dublin.

Thanks for your advice.

Don't budge yourself. Whichever EA you go with will stand to make alot of money from your house. You should play them off against each other. Alternatively experiment your- stick an ad in Daft (about 96euro) and see how you do yourself for a couple of weeksself, afterall you already have an idea of the house's value

1.5% seems a bit high. Our agent is charging 0.75% "special offer". I think 1% is more typical, though.
Are they a large agency ? Try some of the smaller ones who might be more keen to bargain. After all, 0.75% or 1% of 1.2m is a nice piece of commission for anyone ! Your home shouldn't be too hard to sell given its location.

its an easy sell in that area . Take walkies, find every active agents number in the area off the signs, contact and haggle.

also make sure YOU contol the marketing budget not them ...eg that its not all over the property pages before you know about it and you paying costs for the privilege .

make them detail the proposed sales marketing spend / signage before the deal is done to sell it and hold them to whats agreed.

and well done you , that was a good investment and it seems to me a timely exit !!!!

shouldn't estate agents only charge a fixed price-this percentage business is daylight robbery-to think of the commisions they get for fielding a few calls-they shouldn' t get any more than a few hundred euros-tops!!

Back