AIB Redress/Compensation Appeal

dublin2019

I have received redress and compensation on my tracker mortgage. I am considering appealing the amount and would like to get peoples opinions on my logic for a compensation appeal and the success of any appeal.

The basis of my appeal is that my property was sold at below value in order to clear the mortgage due to pressure from the bank, I was never in default but did have periods of interest only payments due to returning to education, other than those periods I was always employed in a professional capacity. I wanted to obtain a joint mortgage with my partner to purchase a new family home but the banks refused us as I had a mortgage already. My house was in another town and not feasible to use as a base for us for commuting purposes. The market rent at the time would not have covered the mortgage.

Over a period of 3 years the bank refused my suggestions of a longer term interest only period AND refused an offer of gaurantee from my parents in the form of mortgage free property AND refused to lower the mortgage payment and extend the term so it would be covered by the market rate rental income. they just would not budge on varying the payment. Eventually I closed my current accounts with AIB in protest at their treatment of me. I accepted a lower offer on the house than market value to get it sold. In the sale process I looked up all my documents. I remembered coming off a fixed term in 2009 and asking about my tracker rate but was told by the bank at the time that trackers no longer existed and was put on a variable rate.

Once my solicitor contacted the bank looking for the deeds to be released for a sale the bank wrote to me and said i was affected by the tracker situation and in the end a few months ago, I received a cheque from the bank. This was broken in to redress/Compensation/Independent advice fee. I have no issue with the redress part as I had calculated this using a spreadsheet I found on this forum! The compensation part is my real issue.

They say in their letter that the compensation given is to reflect the impact of the failures of the bank and recognises that the property was sold. the compensation rate is quoted at 22%. The house was sold in 2017 at aprox 60-80k below market value (based on sales in the same area in 2017/2018). I originally had it on the market for 45k more than i sold it for. The basis of my claim is that if the bank was not pressuring me into selling (every refusal of suggested alterations to the repayment were accompanied by letters telling me the mortgage was unsustainable and to sell the property) and all the time I was supposed to be on a tracker rate which would have totally changed the situation with rental income covering the mortgage.

What do people think? is there a case for further compensation due to banks handling of the situation? or is it a waste of effort and more stress trying to chase them.

You're entitled to put in an appeal - if you lose you're no worse off than you are now bar the time put into it....

I think the back should take responsibility for the sale.

If you kept the property what would the future value of the tracker be?

Thanks moneymaker - The future value is something I would have to calculate. on the redress letter they are using a rate of 1.25% as the rate I should have been on at Nov 17. at the last month of the mortgage in Nov 17 I was actually on 3.15% standard variable rate. So I probably need to work out the value of that 1.25% rate to me over the remaining term of the mortgage at Nov 17 which was 11 years. I have spent the afternoon writing out the series of events and reading through the correspondence and have decided that I am going to lodge the appeal.

I wanted to obtain a joint mortgage with my partner to purchase a new family home but the banks refused us as I had a mortgage already. My house was in another town and not feasible to use as a base for us for commuting purposes. The market rent at the time would not have covered the mortgage.

Over a period of 3 years the bank refused my suggestions of a longer term interest only period AND refused an offer of gaurantee from my parents in the form of mortgage free property AND refused to lower the mortgage payment and extend the term so it would be covered by the market rate rental income.

I am confused here. I can't see how you can say that the lender forced you to sell your home?

You could keep up the repayments.

You just couldn't buy a second home - but most people couldn't.

You asked the bank to reschedule your mortgage so that you could keep it as an investment property. I don't see why the bank should have felt obliged to do so.

So let's say you were on a tracker from the start...

Did the repayments you actually made cover what the repayments would have been had you been on a tracker?
If so, then it's looking good for you.
If not, then you would have had to reschedule your mortgage anyway.
No lender would have given you a mortgage as you had an impaired credit record.

Did you buy another house?

If so, you could reasonably argue that AIB would have let you move the tracker to the new property with an additional 1% margin.

I would base the claim on that.

Brendan

Point taken on the investment property element! My argument is that if i had been on tracker none of the above would have been an issue!

I came off the tracker in 2006 to go to a fixed rate and was not put back on the tracker after the expiry of the fixed rate - at the time the bank said "we don't do tracker rates anymore" and i did not know any better at that time. So my actual repayments on the standard rate were always between €200 and €300 a month over and above what the repayment would have been on a tracker mortgage rate. I never missed a payment at the standard variable rate and had 2 period of interest only with banks agreement (6 months each while on college placements). I estimate that I have overpaid 17k in monthly mortgage payments over the life of the mortgage.

I am mortgage free at present - my relationship subsequently broke down before we could buy a property together. However, I am now trying to buy as a single buyer and I am limited on the amount that I can borrow. Like everyone else I am finding it hard to source a property that I can afford on my own in Dublin so there is no new mortgage to switch a nice tracker rate to.

I am going to submit a claim and see where it goes.

Back