Red Cow Roundabout

tinal

hi all

I have to travel to dublin airport on Friday to pick up family. I will be coming from Portlaoise. Will the roadworks at the Red Cow affect me much? I am quiet nervous driving to the Airport but manage OK as I just have to usually take the 1st exit off the roundabout and from there it is straightforward! Will these roadworks put me out much in my approach to the roundabout and the airport, or will I have to call in the "backup" drivers from home??

Many thanks

t

Its a while since I drove down from Newlands Cross to RCR but AFAIK its not much different for heading down to the M50 so you should not have any problem. The main difference these days because of roadworks is on heading out of town towards Newlands.

The only thing is, that you will need to leave yourself plenty of time because of late, the traffic is very heavy there and on the M50.

I went around the red cow recently from a different approach (coming off the M50 north bound to head into town). It all looks a bit of a mess but it was all well signposted so if you're nervous just take your time and stick with the sign posts.

alternatively you could take the outer orbital road from citywest across to the N4 and then back to the M50 but it might be easier just to stick with the red cow,

Gnashers

I have to be in the airport for 12pm so I will miss the rush (I hope). I just hate negotiating roundabouts that I am not familiar with and add to that the voume of traffic and Im a nervous wreck!

You could avoid the RCR altogether.
If you take the new turn off immediately after the Citywest bridge and go straight on that road past Wyeth Pharmaceuticals,follow the signs for Lucan village (not M50) you will cross over the N4 and then round to the right past Woodies Lucan which brings you onto the N4 just above the M50. You join the M50 just South of the Westlink.
It's easier than it sounds.
Unfortunately it's not as easy going back, but you could take the turn for Liffey Valley Shopping Centre and then follow signs for Clondalkin.

Travelling inbound on the N7 approaching the Red Cow roundabout has not changed, you still take the slip road and head north on the M50 to Airport.

The changes are for motorists travelling outbound and heading north on the M50, they must now go past the Red Cow roundabout and double back a bit further up the road.

Just take your time, it might look a bit messy but for your journey it hasn't changed

A friend recommended the Citywest / Lucan / M50 approach a few weeks agos. So decided it was worth a shot. Thought to myself, sure it can't be any worse. Boy was I wrong. My nerves were shot to bits especially as the traffic was not only incredibly heavy but I was totally unfamiliar with the route and under time restraints.

On Sunday night just past, the approach to the M50, if you were coming from The Green Isle Hotel, was exactly the same as always until you just went past Joels where that hardware place is on your left. Where you would normally keep going straight was closed off and the road veers to the right now into what would have previously been the road heading down the country.Just keep into the left hand lane cos there are no longer two lanes going onto the M50 once you get to the Red Cow Roundabout and it just means you are not in the wrong lane approaching and having to cut across (which many cars did!!!!)

When you are heading back home you will come off the Red Cow Roundabout and go through what was the Luas Car Park. Is all signposted but make sure you stay in the middle lane, because if you stay in the right hand one, it will bring you onto Monastery Road and with trucks and high volumes of traffic it will be very akward to get back across.

I have to be in the airport for 12pm so I will miss the rush (I hope). I just hate negotiating roundabouts that I am not familiar with and add to that the voume of traffic and Im a nervous wreck!

Please consider public transport. I will be keeping off your route..........

I have to be in the airport for 12pm so I will miss the rush (I hope)

The "rush" will have died down but it will still be extremly slow. The M50 is like a war zone. You should leave Portlaoise no later that 9.30am

Back