Rectifying my compost heap

Builder

Any advice on how to rectify my compost heap. Firstly the grass I used was old grass which was just lying in a heap so I incorporated this with some manure, twigs, fruit & veg and paper into my compost heap. It is very wet so I am going to add a lot of paper, and cardboard. Is it possible to rectify my earlier mistakes, old grass and not enough paper. I don't mind waiting a few years in order for it to decompose so long as I am not wasting my time. Any advice appreciated.

It should rot eventually. Try mixing in some compost accelerator. You can buy it in any garden centre.

Is it covered up and lying on bare earth ? If not, it should be to allow for worms etc to get at it. Mix it well, do not dump grass in large lumps on a compost heap. Mix thro some ordinary soil into it. Compost accelerators are useful, but not really necc. There are 2 processes going on in a compost heap, small animals (worms mostly) are munching thro it and there is bacterial action, both are necessary. Ordinary soil contains all the bacteria you need. Every time you top up the heap add a small amount of soil, or even better, take a small amount of well rotted compost from the bottom of the heap, and add this.

PS: Do not compost grass that has had weedkiller put on it. You can tho put this in brown bin where it will be mixed enough to negate the harm these do.

Last edited:
Back