Recording DVD on tape

L

Logo

Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to record DVDs to video format of acceptable quality - and what connections are necessary. (Btw, the purpose is not to produce pirate copies but simply to allow Film to be viewed in room with VCR only).
Thanks in advance,
Logo.

It's generally not possible to record DVD to tape or even play a DVD through a VCR to the TV (e.g. chain DVD to VCR and on to TV via SCART) without degradation of the picture quality due to the Macrovision copy protection hardware built into most (all?) VCRs.

www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/...vision.htm

It is possible to buy Macrovision disablers but they are not cheap. See this topic for more on this:

Sorry - it seems that Macrovision is actually built into the DVD and not the VCR but the end result is that, by default, DVD to VCR (and possibly onward to TV) without picture degradation is not possible.

I'm not fully awake yet, so I may be talking balderdash, but an alternative might be to pick up one of those TV signal transmitter things from Argos, connect the sender to your DVD player and the receiver to your DVD-less TV.

I think these products have been discussed elsewhere in this forum, but I've never used one myself.

Never thought of that. If there was no obvious degradation in quality then I presume that this would work.

Why would doing this remove the Macrovision part of the TV signal coming out of the DVD? TV will still receive the Macrovision part so recording this signal to video would still have problems methinks

Oops - I think that I was asleep that time and that you are correct that a video sender will do nothing but replicate the Macrovision signals so that's no use. Ultimately I don't think that DVD to VCR is possible without some form of Macrovision disabling.

You've misunderstood what I'm suggesting. I don't mean to use the transmitter to send the DVD signal to a VCR, I mean to use it to send the signal to a second TV, leaving the VCR out of the loop altogether. If I interpret the original post correctly, recording the DVD to VHS was only a proposed means to the end of watching the DVD content in a room that has no DVD player.

Now that I'm awake, it occurs to me that a more sensible idea would probably just be to buy a cheapo DVD player for the second room. I doubt it would cost much more than a TV transmitter/receiver thingy anyway, and you wouldn't have to have the primary TV/DVD tied up watching whatever you wanted to see in the other room.

MACROVISION

some time ago i got a region-free hack for my dvd player
(search google for region free hack)
which opened up a hidden menu. one of the options here was to switch macrovision on/off

MACROVISION

> one of the options here was to switch macrovision on/off

That's handy but I don't know how common that is on DVD players. I have a region free player but there's no option to turn Macrovision off unfortunately... :|

Back