Record of IT38 form submittal

leesider

I recently applied for a tax return via taxrebate.ie but I received a letter today asking that I submit an IT38 form before this refund can be processed.
I thought this form had been submitted because I asked my accountant to do it for me. I received an inheritance in March 2022 and paid the CAT on it and gave my ROS login details to my accountant to fill in the IT38 form. I logged in to my ROS account to see if there was any record of it being submitted but I can't find anything on it.
I rang my accountant but he is on leave. Is there any way I can find this out by myself?
It said on the letter "if I have already submitted the form then disregard this notice" but you'd imagine they could find out themselves if I had sent the form as they would have that on their records? I'd like to know though rather than wait for my accountant to get back to me.
I have an acknowledgment letter from Revenue that I paid the CAT so I don't think I have any worries on that score but if the form was not submitted I won't get my tax refund.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Well then, wait til Wednesday. Between courses and holidays after the deadline season, many accountants are not at their desks at this time of year.
OK but I find it amazing that if it was submitted by ROS there is no record of that on my ROS portal.
There is a PAYE enquiries phone number but it is closed until Monday morning. I have also just realised that my accountant charged a fee for submitting the form (I can't remember how much). If it turns out he didn't actually do it then I won't be dealing with him again.

CAT is for some reason treated differently on ROS than other taxes are. I've just looked at the Client Revenue Record of a customer for whom I filed an IT38 a few years ago and CAT does not appear on the dropdown list of Tax Types.

If your accountant hadn't submitted your IT38 last year, you'd heard about it a lot earlier than now.

If your accountant hadn't submitted your IT38 last year, you'd heard about it a lot earlier than now.
My accountant should hope so if he wishes me to retain his services. Very inefficient of the ROS portal that I can't find this out.

@leesider: if you have a 'My Account' in ROS, you can send them a message asking them to send you a copy of the IT38 your Accountant submitted. I don't think Revenue would send you a notification acknowledging payment of your IT if your Accountant hadn't submitted the IT38. Hope this helps.

I contacted my accountant and he confirmed he submitted the IT38 form on ros.ie. He sent me a pdf that seems to prove it. Still a bit surprising that I was not sent an acknowledgment by Revenue. So that should no be a reason for my Tax refund to be delayed.
Edit; I sent the pdf of the IT38 form to taxrebates.ie (who I applied for the tax rebate to) and they said they would forward it to revenue.
The only thing I am thinking might be a problem is that the cheque for the tax I owed on the inheritance was sent separately to the IT38 form. I posted the cheque and the IT38 form was submitted online by my accountant. Maybe they were both supposed to be sent together.
Also the IT38 form requires a signature and I don't know if it is possible to do that on the online submittal: https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/documents/form-it38s.pdf

Last edited:
Back