Recommended TV to use with SKY Q box

dubdub123

Just in the process of moving house and setting up broadband/TV and planning to go with SKY at the moment.

Not quite sure of the size TV but will be 32" or above to around 40"+

I've read that TV must support HDR ( High Dynamic Range)

Any recommendations for a TV ? Been around 15 years since I bought one so I'm not up to date :)

A 32" tv 15 years ago would have had a big frame around it. With a thinner frame these days, you'll probably get a 42" for the same total size.

We had a 32" inch Sony Bravia that cost us €1,000 all those years ago. We have a Bravia, 42/43" that is the same total size and cost €450. It is a smart tv, so has everything on it. The Q Box will replicate a lot of that too. Does the job and not too expensive.

I had Sky Q until last March and I don't recall there been a requirement that the TV "must support HDR"
My TV does support HDR but I ran everything through the AV amp which did not and had no issues

I would agree with Steven above re the sizing, my first big TV was 55" and just fitted in the alcove nice and snug
I now have a 65" that fits in the same alcove with a little room to spare

As regards which one to get will depend on your price bracket but all the big names are very good these days but my preference is Sony

As regards which one to get will depend on your price bracket but all the big names are very good these days but my preference is Sony
Bought a > €2k Sony A8 series earlier this year and am disappointed with it. Not an issue for the Sky users but it has two built in satellite tuners, but doesn't have a tv-guide so you have to tune in a channel to see what's on. No ability to set timers for recording either so the double feed is pointless. Sony's suggestion was to load the FreeSat app which isn't available here. The sound quality is poor too, so I'm adding a sound bar.

Im looking at some Samsung smart TVs that are between 500 to 700. Spotted some in Harvey Norman. Picture quality apparently really good, but may need soumd bar added as audio not as good.
Anyone go with Samsung recently?

If you're going for a lower priced TV definitely budget for a soundbar / speakers!!

And don't select your TV by what 'smart' features it has - the netflix / disney apps are a lot more unreliable on our JVC smart TV than on our firestick or Virgin box which run off the same wifi. Media providers may also stop supporting certain brands / models after a period of time which has happened with apps on our bluray player and xbox.

For our bedroom TV there was a £30 difference between the smart and dumb models of the same TV model, so I got the dumb one and spent the £30 on a firestick which is much more likely to be supported on long term basis.

If you're going for a lower priced TV definitely budget for a soundbar / speakers!!

And don't select your TV by what 'smart' features it has - the netflix / disney apps are a lot more unreliable on our JVC smart TV than on our firestick or Virgin box which run off the same wifi. Media providers may also stop supporting certain brands / models after a period of time which has happened with apps on our bluray player and xbox.

For our bedroom TV there was a £30 difference between the smart and dumb models of the same TV model, so I got the dumb one and spent the £30 on a firestick which is much more likely to be supported on long term basis.
I was looking at getting a amsung soundbar as well. Some other deals out there. Im looking at 43 inch, QLED samsung. From reading reviews picture quality is really good but audio needs a boost. Ive spotted one deal for QLED samsung and soundbar for aound 800.
I might do similar search for other tv (not smart) and see what shows up actually. That's a good point. I can cast netflix, disney+ from a phone, or connect via hdmi to laptop
Any other tips, please share!

Back