Recommendations in Dublin 320K/340K 3 bed House

As a by the by, I think you would be lucky to get a house in Raheny (near Dart and the village )or Kilester for around these prices. I live there and houses tend to get bid up very quickly to 450K plus.

- 3 bed house (or 2 bed with possibility to convert attic )
- Suitable for one adult and 2 teens/almost teens
- proximity to decent secondary school (mixed school) or close enough to public transport to allow travel
- close enough to a grocery shop / supermarket
- family friendly area (basically not a student party area)
- decent walking loop nearby (park, trail or something)
- House itself would need to be in decent state or lower priced so I could put some money in to upgrading
- within reasonable distance of third level (say around an hour or so travel, or less if possible - children will have to commute from home in few years)
- public transport or taxi journey to hospital - not urgent now but future proofing as will be planning to stay in this home for many years.

Someone has already mentioned Cabra, I would add Dublin 7 (Phibsboro, Smithfield, Stoneybatter etc) area in general. Looking at your list of considerations:
- plenty of public transport between bus & both luas lines (plus nitelinks)
- local schools - can't comment on quality, but transport available
- tesco, lidl well represented - not far from town as above
- family friendly - many former council estates in established areas
- parks - Phoenix park among others - great for cycling, summer events etc
- third level - Grangegorman campus, transport links to city and buses direct to UCD
- hospital - Mater, Rotunda, James's nearby
other - recycling centre, public libraries, cinema, gym/pools, local festivals

On your house size - 3beds in former council estates tend to be 2 medium size rooms, plus a small box room, handy for a WFH office, so just something to keep in mind if that's relevant to you when purchasing.

I'm originally from Dublin but living outside of Dublin 10+ years now. I've been planning to move back for some time. I had approval in principle in place and planned to put house on market but then halted everything when covid landed. I was then on the wage subsidy scheme so mortgage approval was out of the question but now I'm looking to move ahead again next year all going ok.

I am originally from Ringsend area of Dublin but that's totally unaffordable now. Living rural now has been great in some ways but very isolating so I'm looking to get back to Dublin, however I'm not tied to any particular area.

I'm expecting my budget to be around 320K-340K and here's some things I'm considering :
- 3 bed house (or 2 bed with possibility to convert attic )
- Suitable for one adult and 2 teens/almost teens
- proximity to decent secondary school (mixed school) or close enough to public transport to allow travel
- close enough to a grocery shop / supermarket
- family friendly area (basically not a student party area)
- decent walking loop nearby (park, trail or something)
- House itself would need to be in decent state or lower priced so I could put some money in to upgrading
- within reasonable distance of third level (say around an hour or so travel, or less if possible - children will have to commute from home in few years)
- public transport or taxi journey to hospital - not urgent now but future proofing as will be planning to stay in this home for many years.

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas that they would recommend from first hand experience? Few areas that I think are in this price range are parts of Swords, Dublin 5, East Wall, Crumlin and surrounding areas, Lucan..

Can anyone give advise on any of these areas or other areas please?
Holywell in Swords still has homes well within that range, schools nearby, 5m walk to big Tesco plus a local Spar. Couple of buses run through it and you'll have a MEtro in a few years. Sister bought round there and absolutely delighted with it. Plus a few of the quieter walks around it.

Thank you for the suggestion.. I hadn't really thought about Beaumont but I see one house in my expected price range alright. I'll keep an eye out in that area as I move things along. Really want somewhere safe and reasonable close to a college and this area fits the bill for DCU and into town and good to get feedback that it's pretty quiet.

thanks to everyone giving feedback on this
Beaumont is nice and quiet, lots of family there. A few schools round it. Shopping though pretty limited choice. Transport reasonably good though.

Back