Recommendations for Attic Conversion - Dublin?

BusinessFailure

We are looking to get our attic converted into an extra bedroom/office. Does anyone have any recommendations for attic conversion companies in Dublin?

(I don't think our roof is high enough for it to be an official "habitable space" conversion)

Aztec Attics - they were very good and clean. It's a two week job.

We had a roof high enough but there a lot of other requirements like Firedoors etc. that meant it wasn't worth it for us. We love our attic room so I would definitely recommend doing it.

Something to consider for your budgeting is that you likely to want \ need to paint your hall, stairs and landing after plus the new attic room. As it's bare plasterboard you will need to give them three coats instead of normal two. You will also need to repaint the old stair case plus the new one. In short, you will be doing a lot of painting afterwards and you should get it all completed before you put down a new carpet or floor boards...lots of work and I think it took me another month after the attic was converted to finish it but like I said well worth it.

Aztec Attics - they were very good and clean. It's a two week job.

We had a roof high enough but there a lot of other requirements like Firedoors etc. that meant it wasn't worth it for us. We love our attic room so I would definitely recommend doing it.

Something to consider for your budgeting is that you likely to want \ need to paint your hall, stairs and landing after plus the new attic room. As it's bare plasterboard you will need to give them three coats instead of normal two. You will also need to repaint the old stair case plus the new one. In short, you will be doing a lot of painting afterwards and you should get it all completed before you put down a new carpet or floor boards...lots of work and I think it took me another month after the attic was converted to finish it but like I said well worth it.
What sort of budget was it all in?

hmmm it was two years ago now but probably around €21,000 all in. It completely depends on the added extras that you go (Bigger windows, fitted blinds, extra wardrobe space, spot lights, paint, bed, carpet etc.) The actual basic attic conversion was quite cheap I thought and cost around €14,000 plus tax. If you are getting quotes watch out the for the +tax bit, it threw me when I didn't spot it at the start - our fault. We were able to get a home renovation grant at that time too, not sure if it still available but that also takes the money off your tax bill through Revenue.

Something else for you to consider is that your house is going to be turned into a building site. The job takes two weeks from start to finish so if you can get your family (?) out for all of that time, I would recommend it. They will also be doing, as you can imagine, a lot of drilling\sawing\plastering etc. so pick a company that does a clean job and move everything out of their way otherwise you will be doing a lot of cleaning up afterwards. Close all doors and see if they will put down plastic sheeting everywhere. They will also likely store a lot of material out the back (?) of your house - windows, insulation, wood etc.

The only other thing I can think of is if you are ever planning on running network cables do it now and also think about where you want the electrical sockets in the new room to be. Sitting in my attic now writing this and it is the best room in the house.

Last edited:
Watch out for planning permission. If the works are largely internal and do not interfere with the overall external appearance of the house, apart from the provision of Velux-style roof lights within the rear roof slope which constitutes exempted development, then you should not require planning permission.

There are onerous fire safety and other requirements in terms of converting an attic space into habitable space as opposed to office space.

Always seek professional advice.

Jim Stafford

@Gordanus I went with CHI Attics in the end. Good overall - there were some mistakes made that needed to be corrected, meaning the floor is a bit squeakier than it should be. They were fast and clean!

Watch out for planning permission. If the works are largely internal and do not interfere with the overall external appearance of the house, apart from the provision of Velux-style roof lights within the rear roof slope which constitutes exempted development, then you should not require planning permission.

There are onerous fire safety and other requirements in terms of converting an attic space into habitable space as opposed to office space.

Always seek professional advice.

Jim Stafford

@Gordanus I went with CHI Attics in the end. Good overall - there were some mistakes made that needed to be corrected, meaning the floor is a bit squeakier than it should be. They were fast and clean!

may i ask what the cost of this conversion was ?

i assume the conversion is certified to meet fire regs etc ?

Hey @galway_blow_in - it cost €21,000, which was kind of in the middle of the quotes we got (between €15K and 28€)

It got the engineering cert etc. We didn't go down the full fire regs route as we'd want to change all the doors in the house. We did get a new fire alarm system on all levels.

Hey @galway_blow_in - it cost €21,000, which was kind of in the middle of the quotes we got (between €15K and 28€)

It got the engineering cert etc. We didn't go down the full fire regs route as we'd want to change all the doors in the house. We did get a new fire alarm system on all levels.

doors are not that expensive but no word of a lie , you will pay as much to have them fitted as each door cost at the moment.

thats not a bad price you got .

Back