Recommendations for apartments in Dublin 8, 12 or Harold's Cross.

Up Rovers

Hello All,

A young relative is starting out on their investigations about buying an apartment in Dublin. They are most likely interested in something close enough to town to be able to walk in on occasion. Maybe Dublin 8, 12 or Harold's Cross.

Hopefully somewhere near to good supermarket, possibly close to Luas or good bus service. Not too high management fees and a complex that is not run down. They would love a 2 bed but unfortunately only have about €300,000 to spend. Parking space would be a big bonus.

Has anyone lived in an apartment in or around any of the above districts that they could recommend? Some of the apartments on Daft or myhome.ie appear to be in dreadful condition with lots of mould and other problems.

Would your relative consider Kimmage or Crumlin; same distance from town as the Terenure end of Harolds X; but Dublin 12 postcode as opposed to Dublin 6W: Dublin 8 is considered trendy and hence prices are high.
Big SuperValu in Kimmage close to this apartment

One thing I often see is access to a supermarket as being a major advantage in ads...for a single person household, it should not be too much of a priority...large chains offer delivery (when we lived in a third floor no lift apt they delivered to our door) and there will be very few "big shops". And in most cases people are hopping in their cars for grocery shop, so a once a week trip 1km v 6km should not be a huge difference. I would prioritise access to transport and green space if I was living in an apt.

Would they consider Dublin 7? A lot of the benefits of D8 but slightly cheaper prices?
If they have a car, they need a parking space. If they don't and don't drive, they don't.
Pictures on Daft don't tell you the full story - they need to actually go look at places and decide whether or not the mould issues are due to design flaws or prior tenant behaviour - remember that less than 30% of apartments are owner occupied, so they are often lived in for a long time by people who don't own them and don't know or care about how to maintain them.
Why have they narrowed the area they are looking at? Do they work somewhere on this route?

Wouldn't touch a 1 bed if you paid me.

Broaden the search; this is not likely to be their forever home.

Right now in Dublin County I found 244 two bed apartments at 300k or less.

Do rent-a-room & you'll have c.10% of the mortgage cleared in two years. No-brainer for a FTB.

Back