Recommendations for a bike to commute for work?.

Yes OP really couldnt have been more vague! Terrain, distance, location, traffic, time constraint, budget etc.....nope, nothing!

I bought a 90 euro second hand mountain bike off Donedeal three years ago and it's grand for 15 mins Dublin city cycle to work. Buy only what you need, not an 800 quid bike just because it's on bike to work scheme etc.

Boards cycling forum probably better than here.

Ah yeah sorry about that.. Mess up when posting... I've stuck it up on Boards as well..

I'm currently looking to buy a bike for commuting to work. I live in Galway city and the commute would be approx six miles each way. I have a mountain bike but I find this very heavy and a lot of effort... I was looking at the Giant Rapid and was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations. I don't find the selection in Galway all that great.

I was looking at the some of the other treads here and they most are quite old so looking for updated info...

I have a mountain bike but I find this very heavy and a lot of effort... I was looking at the Giant Rapid and was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations. I don't find the selection in Galway all that great. ...

Have you changed the tyres on your MTB to road tyres? That would make a huge difference. If done, your MTB shouldbe more than adequate for a short commute. Giant is an excellent brand but you need to find a bike shop and get fitted and advice.

I have a ridgeback velocity, its a hybrid. I hadn't cycled for years until I got this 2 years ago and the difference between modern hybrids and the mountain bikes that I remember from 10 years ago is significant.

Can you avail of the Bike to Work scheme? If so you could get a bike and associated gear under the deal.

What are the road conditions like where you will be cycling? That will guide how skinny/racy you'll be able to go with the wheels/tyres.

Do you have friends who cycle? Any chance you're likely to want to take it further and do more social cycling, like take part in sportives or MTB days out?

The more upright riding position of an MTB or hybrid will give you better visibility so you can remain more aware of your surroundings, especially if you're not used to racer drop bars.

Hydraulic disc brakes are becoming more popular on hybrid bikes, and even some road bikes now, these will give you significantly more stopping power, which can be very useful in traffic. Of course the size of the tyre and its thread will determine the maximum stopping power that can be applied before losing grip.

Thanks for all that. Yes I'd be going down the Cycle to work scheme. I currently have a Giant XTC mountain bike with front suspension. I didn't put the road tires on it. I know you have that option alright.. I just think that it'll still be quite a heavy bike and with the gearing and wheel size difference a hybrid/urban/city would be easier work... I was looking into possibly doing some triathlons as well..

I was looking into possibly doing some triathlons as well..

Then you will need a road bike. Even if a hybrid/city bike was allowed, it'd be dog slow.

The Rapid would be a decent fast commuter bike though.

I got one last year on the bike to work scheme and got a cyclocross bike - it's light, not quite as light as a road bike, but light enough I can easily throw it over my shoulder to carry - I'm a small female and certainly would not have been carrying around my old bike. It feels to me far more sturdy than a road bike, I've a lot of bumps on my commute and I feel it's more than able to handle it. It's designed to be used off road, but without the weight of a mountain bike/no suspension. It doesn't have as many gears as road bikes, I guess about 12 - but the range is more than sufficient for me to head up the hills in Dublin/Wicklow.

It will be the upper end of the price range in terms of the cycle to work scheme - 1000 euro plus without accessories for a basic cyclocross bike. But I really love mine - it's what I'd always wanted without being able to articulate it. It took going in to quite a few shops to get one that would sell one in my price bracket and quite a few tried to convince me to get a road bike with thicker wheels or a hybrid. This was, by a long shot, my favourite bike. I use it for commuting, the odd spin out the country (40-60km) and I know it can handle something off road like the conemara challenge for when I get my butt in gear and get out there. I would absolutly consider using it as a starting bike for triathalons - mind you while I've done the training for one, I haven't actually completed one. When I get there, I may be looking for a road bike then! But given my mixed requirements - lot of commuting/some road biking/maybe some off road work, I consider it the perfect fit for me.

It's a pleasure getting on this bike versus my last hybrid (which I had modified for the way I like with drop handle bars, etc..) but was just so heavy. Have a look at some and take them out for a ride - I've a Giant TCX.

Back