Recommendation for hand held Torch Light.

SlurrySlump

I am looking to purchase a good hand held torch light. Are there any good brands that I should be looking out for?

There aren't many circumstances where a head torch won't do as well as a hand torch, while leaving your hands free.

It was different in the past where batteries were bulky and heavy of course.

But head torches are very light these days.

Is it just a torch to have around the house or is it for some other reason like having a torch with you while out for a walk in the Dublin mountains

Are there any good brands that I should be looking out for?
'Maglite' is a reputable brand if a bit expensive. But may not suit your needs.

Your question is extremely broad, akin to 'I'm looking to buy a car, what would you recommend?'.
We have no idea what you will be using it for, what kind of beam do you want, broad/narrow, how many lumens would you need, rechargeable or not, is size important (ooh Matron :)) , LED or halogen etc..
And, not least, how much you are willing to pay for this torch.

Aldi have decent led solar lights at the moment. €8.99. suitable for leaving outdoors. Triangular shape.

Have 3 of them literally placed outside on the decking. Idea is that if there's a power cut I bring them inside and they will give up to 3 hours of light. (They have a sensor too)

Also use them for rooting about the shed.

Thanks for the replies.

Over the years I have owned a few pretty crappy torches. They get forgotten about in the press and when I go to look for them I can never find which press I left them in. Invariably when I go to use them the batteries are dead or have leaked etc. My fault not the torches fault.

Reading about possible power cuts next year I thought that I might purchase one or two of those camping type lights that might come in useful around the house. I would also like a torch with a powerful beam that could see in to the darker corners of my garage or for the very occasional time I might fancy a trip to my attic. Maybe one that might light up my garden if directed from a window in the house.

My problem in the past is that I have always purchased a cheap torch. I want to spend a few quid on one and have it somewhere that I can easily access.

I am also looking to review my fire safety equipment in the house......extinguisher, fire blanket etc.......but that's another thread.

I find the basic Decathlon model head torch is fine for all I need. If you want a higher spec a good brand is Fenix.

My problem in the past is that I have always purchased a cheap torch.
The quality improvements in torches in the last two decades is phenomenal. A "cheap" torch today is not a cheap torch of the past.

Spending more on a torch isn't going to stop you mislaying it or forgetting to change the batteries?

Do you cycle? Get a good rechargeable front bike light that can be used as a torch in and around the house if needed. Kill two birds with the one stone. I've had one from the moon brand for 15 years that has served me well.

For power outages, there are torches that clip into a holder on the wall, and are constantly charged. If power goes out, they automatically light so that you can find them. Handy to mount them in the utility room or similar.

I'm a big fan of Maglite, been using them for years in work and naturally also have one at home
It's about 15 years old and is perfect for all those unlit areas around the house should I need to go there
On the bikes I have a couple of Garmin bike lights that also could double up as flashlights should the need arise
I really like these lights because there well made solid lights with 800 lumens and connected features and are used every time I'm on the bike
They are quite expensive but if you're prepared to wait and shop around you will see them heavily discounted by as much as 50%
But my favourite light (can't believe I have a favourite light :rolleyes:) is a little Energiser light that I found in Leroy Merlin ( A Spanish Woodies)
It's a tiny powerful Led light not much bigger than a AA battery with the light part been at 90° to the body and has a little magnetised belt clip
I have it mainly in my car in case I need for changing a tyre or some other road side emergency when there isn't enough street lighting

And of course failing all that there is also the flashlight that every phone comes with these days!!

Led Torches (and bike lights) these days are amazing. Battery life which last forever and super bright. I've a cheap USB head band one, that also lasts a long time on a charge.

Another for Maglite torches here. Solid. If it's a head lamp, Petzl are the best.

Back