Recommend Stair Lifts for elderly relative.....

cjh

I have an elderly relative who is thinking of getting a Stair Lift installed.
The quotes she's received vary substantially - from nearly 8K to 2.5K.

I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding the variations in quality/ease of use/recommendations etc.
(Relative is in Dublin area).

Is there an occupational therapist involved in working out her needs? If so, the OT should give you a good idea of the pros and cons of the different options.

Aged aunt had S/H one supplied and installed last month for €650. She lives in NW Cork and was told that a new one of same, including installation, would cost about four grand. Works a treat.

Thanks for the replies.

No Occupational Therapist involved.

Have heard that S/H is a good way to reduce cost - assuming the quality is still reliable.

My mother had a Stannah stair lift installed for about e4,000, but I think she got about half of this in a form of grant. She loves it and uses it regularly eventhough she can still use the stairs. It is particularly good for putting things on (eg. piles of ironing, hot water bottle etc) and sending them up by remote control - then she walks up afterwards. She used it quite a bit recently when she hurt her ankle. Stannah were very efficient in the installation process and as far as I know they sell on reconditioned, slightly used models. www.stannah.ie if you want to check them out.

Thanks Ophelia, 'Stannah' is one company she's looked at, as are 'Fannin'.

My mother paid up front for hers and it took them months to come out and fit it. Eventually, when they did come out, they made a mess of the installation. She hit the roof.

Brendan

Make sure that whatever facility is put in place has appropriate emergency escape options. Consider what happens if the power is cut while the user is upstairs.

Power cuts aren't really a problem as the chair runs on a battery which is left plugged in charging continuously. It would probably be a good idea to get the opinion of an OT (if you can get one), as there may be other health and safety issues. People with Alzheimer's Dementia for example may need close supervision using the chair.

Back