Recommend resonably priced hotel central london

angela59

Hi,

Hoping to travel during midterm with my husband and 12 year old daughter to central london. Any recommendations for a centrally located hotel that doesn't cost the earth.

Thanks in Advance.

Angela59:)

I tend to stay in the Ibis London City when going on my own dime. 10 minute walk to tower bridge, directly next to Aldgate east tube station.
It isn't as cheap as other Ibis hotels but it is very central indeed.

London Hotels (or even B&B's) are ridiculous expensive generally speaking, so doing a search on the usual sites like hotels.com, trivago, etc. is always worth the hassle as you might find something on offer that suits you.
My experience with B&B's or small Hotels close to London City hasn't been the best though, there is some shoddy places around.

HTH.

Great links in from Croydon and great value hotels there you can be in Victoria station in 20 mins and frequent trains in and you can get underground at Victoria to any place in London. The Oyster card can be used from Croydon so no buying of tickets. If you fly into Gatwick you can be in Croydon in 15 mins.

Tune hotels are some of the best value central hotels..but beware, it's a different business model to what we're used to. You get the room and ensuite but things like tv, internet, hairdryer etc are all extra. To me if you're in a city like London and you're worrying about those things then you're not making the most of the city. They're hard to beat on price.

I stayed in a hotel near Hyde Park with the kids in April 2012.
It's a great location as it's just beside Paddington Station so easy to get to on the Heathrow Express. You can get a family room for around €200-€250 a night in a 3 star hotel.
Here's the thread I had on it.

Premier Inns are definitely worth a look. They have a number of good locations, and if you decide to opt for one a bit out of central London, which will probably be cheaper, you will generally find a good Tube connection nearby that will have you in to the city very quickly.

As a general rule in London, you get very little for an awful lot so be prepared to pay more than you'd expect for even pretty basic accommodation.

You could try the following places though:
Travelodge Covent Garden (but definitely avoid both Travelodges near King's Cross <shudder> and Travelodge Farringdon)
Travelodge Euston is okay but try to get a room at the back, you don't want a room facing the street or in the basement (they have them!) - though the way the Travelodge check in works that might be difficult.
Premier Inn Euston Road
Ibis Euston St Pancras
Jury's Inn Islington

Basically your cheaper UK brands are Ibis, Premier Inn, Travelodge. It would also be worth going via some of the booking websites as they may pick up some deals you won't find on your own.

Another tip if you are flying via Heathrow or Gatwicik:
- Heathrow has a tube station. Significantly cheaper to get into town than Heathrow express, although it takes longer.
- Gatwick Express is very expensive as well. There are loads of trains to eg London Bridge that are almost as fast as they only stop once on the way in East Croydon. Tickets usually at least half of Gatwick Express (eg first capital connect trainline)

Another tip if you are flying via Heathrow or Gatwicik:
- Heathrow has a tube station. Significantly cheaper to get into town than Heathrow express, although it takes longer.
- Gatwick Express is very expensive as well. There are loads of trains to eg London Bridge that are almost as fast as they only stop once on the way in East Croydon. Tickets usually at least half of Gatwick Express (eg first capital connect trainline)

+1 on the advice from newirishman here. Gatwick Express is the fast way into London from Gatwick... by 1 or 2 minutes :) You can get a table on the Express and it is usually less busy but even if you plan to be in the Victoria area it does not represent a massive time saving on the stopping service to Victoria with Southern.

If you are planning to stay in the vicinity of London Bridge, in the City, around Holborn or the KingsX/St. Pancras/Euston area - you are better off on the First Capital Connect as they travel through the eastern part of the city via London Bridge, Blackfriars and St Pancras on their way to Luton Airport and Bedford. Getting from Victoria to most of those areas is hassle if you are carrying bags!

Heathrow is on the Picadilly Line so it will take you to Covent Garden directly but it also has a third option, faster than the Tube but into Paddington - the Heathrow Connect, it is about half the price and twice the time of the Express.

Always try to book your trains in advance if possible and procure some Oyster cards for travelling around London, you can get day and week paper travel cards if not the Oyster.

Thanks to all who replied, great amount of information there. Checked some of the hotels recommended, and were booked during the dates - london fashion week! I booked the Premier Inn Westminister Bridge - got good reviews got it for £350 for 3 nights. Flying into Gatwick, checked prices on the southern line to Waterloo with a change at clapham junction but still works out as dear as gatwick express believe it or not - I can get gatwick express £59 sterling for three of us to victoria and then I think rather than negotiate tube with changes and luggage and find hotel I will get a taxi from Victoria station - checked price looking at £7.00 for time of day I will be travelling. I would have flown into Heathrow but flights are dearer to there and would have no problem tubing it into london. Believe it or not you could get a taxi from airport in Heathrow return journey cheaper than Heathrow Express - trains in london are expensive.

Thanks again, really appreciate that advice.

Angela59

Heathrow Express is very expensive as it's a private train. You can buy an oyster card at Heathrow and top it up with the amount of money you would spend getting the train and travel for at least 3 days around London with it. I think people get it if they are not used to tube when they first arrive but it is just as easy to take tube.

Back