Recommend Multi Trip Holiday Insurance please

Curamach

My husband and I intend to take a few trips abroad this year-Switzerland, US, Italy. We're both in excellent health, have private health insurance and just are wondering what anyone would recommend by way of multi trip holiday insurance? We won't be indulging in extreme sports, but are concerned about having enough cover for the States in particular.

I'm with VHI, for both standard medical insurance and multi-trip health insurance. Multi-trip is around €69 pa for a couple (provided you have the vhi health insurance).

I have claimed off it twice with no difficulty, once for a medical condition and once for delayed baggage.

I have the VHI Multi-Trip policy and recently had to claim on it as I was away on holiday when my mother was taken ill. My sister was also on holiday with me and had taken out the Ryanair policy while booking her tickets.

Her claim took 7 days from submitting the claim (with a scanned copy of my mother's death certificate) to full reimbursement of all ticket costs and one phone call.

My claim with VHI Multi-Trip (subcontracted to Collinson Insurances Ltd) was only recently settled after providing a multitude of documentation (including being requested to provide details of my sister's breakdown of her reimbursement from Ryanair), an original copy of my mother's death certificate (costing €30) as a scan was not acceptable and written proof from my mother's GP that her son (me) did not go on holidays knowing that she was critically ill!!!

I had a multitude of phone calls with their assigned assessor who was very polite but unwavering and finally got full reimbursement when I went through their complaints procedure and the Complaints Officer ruled in my favour. At various times I nearly gave up as it was not big money but I feel that the company tries to put barriers in your way to make claiming difficult hoping that you will give up. On principle I decided to stay the course.

What was a very traumatic time was made even more traumatic by the way this was handled. My recommendation is that you source your travel insurance elsewhere.

Hi,

I have VHI multitrip insurance. I have claimed twice in the past for cancelled trips.
VHI paid out both times without any difficulty.

Multitrip.com. I have had personal experience of no-hassle payout. Can choose worldwide travel including or excluding US/Canada.

Back