Recommend hardy hedge

mary123

My Grisilinia (8 years old) and Escalonia (3 years old) have perished over the past 2 winters. I am thinking of replacing them now. What would you suggest for a hardy quick growing hedge to give me privacy from neighbours.

I have the same problem. From what I hear, Laurel is one of the best. I have heard somewhere hedging that have a high sap content are best, but I am far from an authority on the matter.

I have been growing cuttings for the past 12 months to replace my escalonia. I need approx 500 plants!

Thanks for that Shane. Laurel has been mentioned alright. I think i will take a tour of the local garden centres tomorrow and see what they have. I need about 500 plants also.

Mary,
- are in you in the town or in a rural area?
- what's your soil like?
- how much space (width) do you have?
- is the boundary shaded or sunny?
- do you want something evergreen or deciduous?
- do you get strong winds / are you near the sea (salt drift)?
All these are important considerations for choosing the right plants.

Shane007
When did you take cuttings, was it off the Escalonia. I have an Escalonia hedge but need about 300 shrubs for more hedging but didn't know how or when to taking cuttings. Can you advise what you did in order to take the cuttings

Sorry no, the last two winter's killed back my escalonia. It does recover but it has to cut back to near enough the ground. The cuttings I took are laurel, however, you won't find an easier hedge to take cuttings from than escalonia. You can do this really anytime once the growing season begins; just cut off below a new shoot, pick off most of the leaves/twigs, dip in rooting powder and pot in compost. You should get approx 90% success rate. It's that easy. Escalonia is a lovely hedge, but not that hardy. Grows like mad though!

Sorry, was off the radar for a while. Thanks for all comments and advise, i have settled on portuguese laurel and planting this weekend weather permitting.

Back