Recommend Family Type Car

suzyann

Hi , Looking for some recommendations for a family car that will provide enough space for myself & hubbie and our two childen (ages 3 & under 1) so will have two car seats in the back - Would also like to ensure that with the two car seats in the back an additional adult or car seat can be accomodated comfortably. Cabin and boot space are also very important for us - Can we get all this in a 5 seater , we would prefer not to have to go for a 7 seater? We were considering the Qashqai and the Hyundai ix35 ...

Hi - I've a Mondeo (5 door) - large boot in them, 2 kids seats in the back - depending on your child seats' sizes, an adult can sit in between, but "comfort" wise, I wouldn't like to be that adult for a long journey (never mind the fact you are stuck between two kids :) ).

Would recommend bringing along the kids' seats & buggy & checking them in the cars that you are looking at before purchasing... it'll give you a good guide on what you need.

I'd recommend looking at estate cars as opposed to an SUV. Generally they would be cheaper to buy and cheaper to run and will drive better than a high riding pseudo-off-roader. I'd also recommend diesel as the default choice, again due to running costs on the size of vehicle you're looking for.

On a side note, I drove a Qashqai a while ago and was quite disappointed with how 'agricultural' the engine sounded (1.5 diesel).

Just to list a few you could look at...

Mondeo Estate
Audi A6 Avant / A4 Avant
Seat Exeo Estate
Citroen C5 Estate
Volvo V60 / V70
VW Passat Estate
BMW 5-Series Touring
Skoda Superb Estate
Saab 9-5 Estate

Drive a 3 series BMW saloon, three kids, can get two carseats and a booster in back seat, tmiddle belt the full belt as opposed to a lap belt. Plenty boot room (although Id imagine 5 series huge boot)....I wouldnt be keen at all on an estate but see a KIA C'eed thats looks good at local school.

Anyone I know with two/three kids in the last two years have downsized from the seven seater.

Friend has a Qashqai, Id find you need to be tall to get child in/out carseat.

Also point to note some carseats/booster seats can be really slim compared to other models.

thanks for the responses - Guess I wont be rushing out to get a Qashqai or ix35 - I'll have a good look at the options suggested as alternatives

Hiya Suzyann
Ive a Renault Senic and its a tardis!! Ive a 5+3yr old so from birth ive had double buggys, christmas shopping etc all fitting into the boot which seems to have shed like capacity! It has 3 seperate seats in the back so ive been sat inbetween the two child car seats on either side and been comfy. Also its only a 1.4ltr so excellent on petrol. Its a high seated car with suits my little 5ft frame and popping babies into car seats/carriers. Its roomy and has 2 sunroofs which is great during the summer. I havnt had any issues with it and ive had it for 6yrs. Worth a look......

Along the same line as the scenic, the Citroen Picasso is a fabulous family car. So roomy, huge boot, lovely high back seat so the kids can see out. Back seat fits three very comfortably. Plenty of room for two baby seats. Loads of storage inside the body of the car including in the floor.

Front seats so comfy. Like armchairs.

We had three Picassos in succession. Absolutely loved them as a family car.

P

Ive a Renault Senic . . I havnt had any issues with it and ive had it for 6yrs. Worth a look......
Don't hold your breath; I once owned a 05 Scenic and amongst other problems I had . .

Cam De phaser Unit replaced (Rattle on start-up),
Air con failed (banging noise)
Pulleys & Coils replaced
Electric Window problem (Regulator)
Faulty key-card (expensive)
Failed temperature sensor
Bonnet catch problem
Door catch problem
Sun-blinds broke easily
Electronic Dash failed and had to be replaced (had murder with them over this)

. . never again.

OP says they would prefer a saloon, I'd suggest a Passat, the cabin space will meet their needs and the boot is larger than the Mondeo or Insignia, also the rear seats fold down, handy for getting rid of the Xmas tree...excellent in the 2.0 Ltr Diesel.

Back