Recommend credit card - Pay in full every month

aamusername

Hi,

I am looking to change from my BOI credit card because of recent changes in their terms and conditions. I always pay my bill in full and have so far managed to avoid paying any interest on my credit card. I never get cash advances. I do however often make purchases online in Sterling. It looks like I would be paying more for these Sterling purchases with the new BOI rules.

Could anyone recommend a credit card where I would be able to avoid paying any interest on purchases (whether in Euro or Sterling) as long as I pay the bill in full?

I have been looking at the PTSB "ICE" credit card, so if anyone has one of them it would be great to hear any feedback. I did check out the NCA's credit card comparison, but the terms and conditions of credit cards are always a little tricky, and as I never pay interest simply comparing interest rates on cards doesn't make much sense.

Thanks,
aamusername

I have had the TSB ICE card for 4 or 5 years. I have had no issues and find it very good. You still get the normal number of interest free days on it for non Euro transactions but pay the 1.75% conversion fee.

Thanks for your answer TomOC. It sounds like I should be safe enough to go ahead with applying for the ICE card so. (It looks like BOI are going to be charging interest on their cross-border handling fee from the date of purchase - I know it won't be much, but I still don't want to pay it!)

An alternative might be a cashback card which, depending on use, might "pay" you back more at the end of the year than the interest charged on the Sterling purchases.

The only one still available in Ireland (AFAIK) is AIB's [broken link removed], which I use for everything I can, so it "earns" me about €200pa.

We don't pay interest with the Tesco card, repaying in full every month. I would buy a fair amount from UK online.
Now we can use the card in Aldi and Lidl, I earn points by paying there with the Tesco card, which I then double up to pay off Bord Gais. It was worth about €450 last year.

The disadvantage is no online access, you have to phone to check balance etc.

If your not looking for high credit availability what about tesco CC. You earn club card points and can redeem them for restaurant, travel vouchers etc. I got one few months back and have €45 so far in vouchers. Only issue initially was you cannot check balances / purchases on line. It took me a few months to get on top of keeping a note of all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm pretty obsessive about checking purchases online, so I think the Tesco one is out.

DrMoriarty do you know if there are additional charges for the AIB Platinum Visa? I read the two pdfs at the bottom of that page, but I couldn't find any specific extra charges. For some reason when I looked into cashback cards before I thought there was an annual fee and that I would therefore only have been breaking even. That one certainly looks worth investigating.

Actually I realised that I should have been reading the brochure & application form document linked to on the right of the page, so I can answer my own question. There do not seem to be any extra annual fees. The only "catch" I see is that the first 5,000 annually is not taken into account for cashback.

Thanks again

Back