Recommend a Mortgage Broker

S

Sneachta

Hi, I couldn't find a thread on this although there must be one somewhere.
I live near Maynooth in Kildare and I am looking for a mortgage broker that deals with all or most of the banks. Can anyone help please?
Thanks in advance.

Do you need a broker? With the Best Buys info on this site you can find out the cheapest loan in your circumstances - and a mortgage is a commodity so you should always go for the cheapest one (there-that'll get the posters humming....).

If you do decide to use a broker, I've never heard anybody on this site being anything other than complimentary about Sarah Wellband at rea.ie.

Thanks oysterman.
Is there any disadvantage in using a broker?
I am remortgaging due to relationship breakdown and need more than they will offer me.

Sneachta said:
Thanks oysterman.

National Irish bank don't deal with brokers, some brokerws might be tied agents and some might have very few agencies thus limiting the choice they offer you. But as oysterman says you can find out the best deals yourself from the Best Buys list or look at the mortgage table in the Irish Times on a Thursday.

As a general rule I would go for a broker who has a minimum of 5 lenders that they deal with. Ideally many more.

Sneachta said:
Thanks oysterman.
I am remortgaging due to relationship breakdown and need more than they will offer me.
Sneachta, there's no doubt that in a non-standard situation a good broker can add value (eg. push the lender to a higher multiple of income) and you might be wise to examine that route. The main potential disadvantage is ending up with a mortgage other than the cheapest available because the broker doesn't deal with certain finance houses. Always be sure to get a list from the broker of the companies he/she deals with and to make sure you check you're not missing out on something better.

I must say, however, that in most circumstances you'll save in the long run if you do your own leg-work on the mortgage, use a cut-price solicitor and source your own house and life insurance on the web.

I can only speak for REA (are there any other brokers ;) ?) and we deal with every lender bar Irish Nationwide and NIB; we publish a clear break-down of the split of our business on our website. A good broker will be able to talk you through all your options, present your application in the best possible light to the most appropriate lender(s) and be impartial in their advice with regard to the mortgage, mortgage protection and household insurance. REA lent in excess of €242 million last year - we have excellent relationships with the lenders we do deal with which helps when a case at the limits of criteria.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Mortgages and More,on Main St, Maynooth, are an IFG Franchise, therefore deal with nearly all lenders, Sister went through them and was very happy.

no connection to the companies mentioned

Back