Recommend a good home coffee maker

P

Padre

Hi All,

I'm leaving my job in an office work soon to go work at home full time. One of the things I will miss the most is the percolated coffee which is brewed in the canteen every morning. What I'm looking for is a recommendation for decent coffee machine which I can purchase eith online or in stores in southern ireland.

I have a plunger which isn't the same.

I've looked up reviews online any they don't seem to be of much help either.

Any suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks.

Best combined coffee-maker/dishwasher/cooker would be the wife :)

Try a Nespresso, good reviews but the pods aren't the cheapest.
Or just get a cheap Moka Pot

Stop using your plunger as soon as you can. It's not a healthy way to drink coffee as it maximizes the chloresterol-raising chemical elements of coffee.

Try a Bodum Santos or similar vacuum coffee maker. The way they work, look and sound is super-awesome and an electric one will keep the coffee warm for ages like you're used to at work.

Would also recommend a Nespresso machine. Lovely coffee and the pods work out at 36c each so far cheaper than your average coffee shop coffee. Won't keep a full pot warm, but very easy to make fresh coffee with a Nespresso each time you want a cup. Be warned though - you end up drinking more than you should!

I was waiting to buy a really good coffee machine and was seduced by the low price of a machine on sale in Lidl. I bought it and personally think it makes a mean cappuchino and espresso. It was less than 50 euro so for the money I think it's pretty good. Easy to use and clean too, a cappuchino is now part of my morning ritual...and afternoon...etc

I was waiting to buy a really good coffee machine and was seduced by the low price of a machine on sale in Lidl. I bought it and personally think it makes a mean cappuchino and espresso. It was less than 50 euro so for the money I think it's pretty good. Easy to use and clean too, a cappuchino is now part of my morning ritual...and afternoon...etc
So what was the name of it?... or is it like the horse blankets; just there the once?

Another vote for Nespresso, I'd be lost without mine. It's clean and quick. Takes far less time than boiling a kettle.

Yummy varieties available.

So what was the name of it?... or is it like the horse blankets; just there the once?

Had to look at it again- it's called 'bifinett'. I've seen it a few times since in Lidl so I'd say it'll be on offer again.

If you do decide to opt for a Nespresso wait a month or two - they'll have their cash back offer on again in November afaik (I don't work for them I'm just waiting to buy one myself & was told by a friend who works in a shop that sells them)

Would also recommend a Nespresso machine. Lovely coffee and the pods work out at 36c each so far cheaper than your average coffee shop coffee.

...but incredibly expensive compared to ground coffee sold in normal bags...

I've got a Gaggia espresso machine, it's a workhorse. I'm sure they do filter machines too. I've also got a starbucks espresso machine, again superb (it's made by Gaggia branded Sbux). So I'd have no problem buying a filter machine in there. But then I like my coffee fresh & I grind my own beans, and not from a pod. If you dont mind about that, pods are simple & clean & easy.

Thanks for the suggestions - the nespresso is an option I'll look at and I think I've seen them in the shops.

The one draw back that I can think of is the pods - these are pre-ground which defeats the purpose of having a coffee machine - especially as I've heard that the coffee looses its flavour soon after grinding?

Was this a recent on special in Lidl or was it a while ago?

I think I have mine 6 months or so now but they are on offer every now and again since.

...but incredibly expensive compared to ground coffee sold in normal bags...

Not if like me you bought 10 or more bags before you found a coffee you liked! With the Nespresso machine you get a selection pack with purchase, a sample of all the varieties so you can see which flavours you like.

Interesting. Where did you buy it and how much was it ?
Bought one from www.coffeecavern.co.uk and it came to about €27 including P&P but they discounted the P&P charges to the UK rates because their website was acting up when I was trying to order. Right now it comes to about €30 including Irish P&P. They also sent a small sample of their coffee club beans for the month in question which was a nice touch. Got another one for work in the US via a colleague who was over there recently for US$30 including a couple of extra packs of filters.

Padre, I bought my husband a Nespresso for Christmas last year (they happened to have a Eur50 off the price if you registered with them which I did) - he LOVES it. It's so easy to use and we've tried a lot of different coffee types. I drink the decaf in the evenings. I don't know about the coffee losing its flavour but he likes strong coffee and loves the Roma and Arpeggio. I bought a Krups, but a lot of different manufacturers make them.

HTH

M

Back