Recommend a free logo design tool

LDFerguson

I have an idea recently for a new logo for the business, which involves taking two existing pictures (both of which I already have) and bringing them together so that they appear as two faces on a cube.

Anyone know any simple programs suitable for manipulating pictures like this?

Thanks.

Afraid not but I have used a service based in India to do some logo design work for me which turned out very well at a very cheap rate if you're interested. They will do any of the image manipulation you like and generate a multitude of graphics files as outputs - unlimted free revisions until you're happy.

You shouldn't skimp on identity, it's the face of your business. A bad (or just not very good) logo gives a very bad impression. Get a designer in, even if you have to offshore it. (Although IMHO it would be preferable if you supported a local designer. They need all the business they can get right now, just like everyone else.)

You shouldn't skimp on identity, it's the face of your business. A bad (or just not very good) logo gives a very bad impression. Get a designer in, even if you have to offshore it. (Although IMHO it would be preferable if you supported a local designer. They need all the business they can get right now, just like everyone else.)

Agree fully. People think that because they can use some publishing software, that they can layout a magazine. Or because they can use some design software, that they are designers.

There are loads of designers around, many of whom are unemployed. They would design something for you or implement your idea very cheaply.

Brendan

I thought it would be a good idea for a company to just offer a website logo design service given that print media is dying out. I googled it and came up with this company which looks good:

[broken link removed]

For around €90 + VAT, they will design a logo for you. And their portfolio looks pretty good.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they appear to be based in England but using an Irish name and internet address.

Brendan

Thanks for all the input.

I think it's a bit disingenuous for a UK company to call themselves Irish Logos and use the .ie domain.

Maybe they are "Plastic Paddies" :) There are a lot of Irish in Britain so I wouldn't hold location against them.
I had the experience of returning home in a GB reg at one time and being foul mouthed as "Brit B&^^%d" when I am true blue (or should that be green) Irish. Judge them on their work.

Maybe they are "Plastic Paddies" :) There are a lot of Irish in Britain so I wouldn't hold location against them.
I had the experience of returning home in a GB reg at one time and being foul mouthed as "Brit B&^^%d" when I am true blue (or should that be green) Irish. Judge them on their work.

I've nothing against English people. Some of my best friends etc. If they called their website "englishlogos.co.uk" or even just "logos.com" I'd happily judge them by their work.

The trading name and the .ie domain would suggest that in supporting them, you'd be supporting an Irish business, when you're not, regardless of where the staff may be from.

There's a lot of it about, well done for checking the contact page.

There's plenty of Irish companies doing identity though, Creative Ireland might be one place to start looking.

Design counts in your logo/ identity pay for it to be done try and get a local company have a look on creativeireland.com expect to pay €70 -130 per hour for there time and you will get what you pay for if you just want t quick logo and you are not going to fuss too much 2-3 hours will do it. If its a bigger company and you want your brand looking at properly it goes up from there..

I am a creative myself, so if you want me to recommend a company i will i will need to know where you are,
(we don't tend to do one of logos)

to answer the original question the only app to do it in is Photoshop but a good identity is very rarely an image.

Take a look at Inkscape or Gimp.
You might be able to do something with one of these open source programmes.

They are free so you have nothing to lose!

Last edited:
I thought it would be a good idea for a company to just offer a website logo design service given that print media is dying out.
I've done some work with Cian from [broken link removed] and have no hesitation in recommending his work (if you've ever visited the web/design sections of boards I'm sure you'll have stumbled across him there). Sheena Oosten also does some terrific work, if you're looking at various options.

to answer the original question the only app to do it in is Photoshop but a good identity is very rarely an image.
Surprised to hear that from someone in the industry. More than happy to admit it's an area I know nothing about, but I had always believed Illustrator was the 'go to' tool to produce vector based logo designs?

You're entirely correct, and there are dozens of other apps out there that can do it, some of which are of an equal or even better quality to Photoshop, because different people prefer different tools.

Back