Recommend a dishwasher brand?

myate

Our Whirlpool dishwasher has just packed up, not even 3 years old. Engineer says the water meter is gone and is very expensive to replace. Almost better to get a new one (as long as its not top of the range).
Any suggestions on a good brand - needless to say Whirlpool isn't in the running.

A which review from last year (might be year before) actually had a whirlpool model at the top! Other brands in the top 10 included
Miele
Beko(!)
Siemens
Bosch
AEG/Electrolux

Though Beko, Whirlpool and AEG all suffered from the customer satisfaction rating from Which customers they were all in the 68-70% satisfaction rate whereas the Miele, Siemens and Bosch were in the 80-86% range.

Those are for non-integrated machines, integrated machines didn't score as highly on their tests.

I alway bought the best most recommended models, and you know what, most were rubbish, paid excess of €700 for one, and it lasted 4 years!

Now I buy the cheapest, they last as long, some even longer than the best, and when they break, and are out of warranty just replace, it seems to work out cheaper

We bought a BEKO dishwasher 9 years ago,works fine,never had any problems with it.(no idea how reliable later models are though)

If you are living in a hard water area this will have a detrimental effect on your dishwasher and washing machine. Best thing to do if you are, is every six months use a product like Calgon to delime the insides of your appliances. Another thing to do if you have a spare bit of cash is to put in a water softening device, but these can be very expensive.

If you are living in a hard water area this will have a detrimental effect on your dishwasher and washing machine. Best thing to do if you are, is every six months use a product like Calgon to delime the insides of your appliances.

Not according to Which Magazine...

The water softening agent Calgon which claims to make "washing machines live longer" does little or nothing to extend their life, according to the consumer magazine Which?

Which? said it simulated three years' washing and found no evidence that, without Calgon, washing machines would fail earlier because the level of limescale was not great enough. It has submitted a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority.

Which? said that, although the product did prevent the build–up of limescale, "the small layer that built up in Calgon's absence was not sufficient to affect performance or suggest future failure".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ng-machines-dont-live-longer-with-Calgon.html

We got secondhand Beko dishwasher from neighbours when they were grandifiying their kitchen 6 years ago - still going strong. Don't believe that marketing rubbish about quality - Beko is cheap and it delivers.

Got a Smeg from DID. REAL cheapie. Only got it because it was Stainless Steel, and the mum wanted it to match other appliances.

Have had no problems whatever, and it's very easy to use.

Can't speak too highly of it.

Darth.

Bosch

Have owned a Bosch dishwasher for about 10 years. Its a basic stainless steel machine, but very reliable. It's never given any trouble.

We had a Hotpoint for 15 years. The runners etc. gradually wore away but it still did a great job in washing ware, etc. We recently bought a Zanussi Tempoline and I'm a little disappointed with it. It's not well designed when it comes to loading it and bowls often have to be washed again. If I was buying another one, I'd probably choose a different brand.

Think we're going to go with a Beko with extra 3 year guarantee (parts & labour), for around €330. We don't even use it heavily, once a week, twice at most.
Just one other thing...does anyone know if built-in vs. standard are the same, bar the front? Ours is built-in.
Thanks for all the replies.

We got a present of a second hand one 6 years ago. It had been used for 6 years before that by a family with 3 children. We only use it a few times a week. However, it's still going strong. It's a Zanussi Multirack DW 908. I'm sure it's obsolete now but it might be worth checking. I have replaced both dishwasher and washing machine in another property at least once in the past 5 years - they're Beko's. Dishwasher broke down twice and had to be replaced after 4 years, washing machine kept going for 5 years but had to be scrapped. So, I think you probably get what you pay for in terms of longevity.

Think we're going to go with a Beko with extra 3 year guarantee (parts & labour), for around €330. We don't even use it heavily, once a week, twice at most.
Just one other thing...does anyone know if built-in vs. standard are the same, bar the front? Ours is built-in.

As far as I know, it is only the door that is different.

Normally the integrated model is smaller.
While they will still quote a 10 or 12 place wash load they will require more attention to placement due to the tighter space.

Bosch, siemens and neff are great value for money. They all come from the same factory in Germany. They are also have the same service provider bsh appliance care.

Back