Recommend a camera

eiregal

I'm in the market to buy a new camera for my honeymoon. My budget is about €250. Can someone recommend something suitable please? I just want good quality pictures and the facility to record too. Thanks in advance!

Without giving model numbers, stick with Canon, Sony or Panasonic.

You won't be disappointed.

Don't fall into trap of buying one with the biggest number of megapixels you can get for the price. Megapixels doesn't necessarily mean quality. Its all about lens, and the brands above are good quality.

I recommend the Panasonic Lumix TZ7, very good quality photos (thanks to Leica lens), superb HD video with full 12x optical zoom (i'm a photographer and this is what I use when not working).

+1 for the Lumix TZ range. You won't get the TZ7 new for that price, but if you can get someone to post it on from the UK you could get [broken link removed].
[Edit: or this from Amazon, with free delivery to Ireland]

Nothing wrong with Canon compacts either, but make sure you get IS (image stabilisation) rather than chasing megapixel count, as RMCF has said.

You can get the ZX3 in Ireland too. TZ8 is also the current TZ range camera.

Thanks folks. Am looking at the Panasonic cameras but the TZ range is out of my price range. How does the FS range compare?

Another, maybe silly, question what size memory card should I be looking for?

Edited to add: Another one I'm looking at is Canon IXUS 105 IS which is on special offer at €55 off. Is this any good?

TZ8 is just over €200 on pixmania.ie...superb site by the way.

Get SDHC cards, Class 6 for the Lumix as you need the fast cards for the HD video.

The Ixus 105 is on offer at €80 off (€119.99) in http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=5592764 (Argos). Review here. Personally I'd go the extra for the Panasonic, but there's nothing wrong with the Ixus camera either.

Back