Recommend a €7000 car

Kkma

Hi, H and I have the above budget to get a car in the next few days. It will be shared. Looking for a mid size as H has to travel 1-2 hours for work a few times a month, and I need to travel to see an unwell family member for the foreseeable future. Other than that, ordinary use is 40-50 km a day.

We've been looking at Toyota Auris and Volvo S40.
We're worried about doing a lot of short journeys with diesel engines.
We're worried that Volvo could be expensive to maintain - we're on a tight budget.
We've had a Volvo S40 before and found it great. Never had a Toyota.

I would get the Toyota. I don't think short journeys are an issue for modern diesel engines but you do need to give it a decent motorway spin every so often to burn off soot (from the DPF). Volvo's can be expensive to maintain.

They're two very different cars OP? I'm not sure I would ever compare the two tbh.
If the car is only to be used by one or two people per journey then I don't see the need for anything like the S40.
Have a look at honestjohn.co.uk to read reviews on small (compact) cars to help you shortlist a few models, then you can start shopping around for options.

I'd get a Toyota too and a petrol one for that kind of mileage. You'll have many, many miles of carefree motoring. Given their reliability I wouldn't be too worried about going back a year or two and buying the bigger Avensis.

Wri thanks for the quick responses. Yeah, they are quite different Ceist. But both in our price range. Our old S40 was very comfortable for long journeys and really easy to drive. I don't think we'd like anything as big as an Avensis - the S40 seems to be a smaller car more comparable to a Toyota Corolla saloon, but we don't fancy one of those and there's not that many of them around while there are loads of Aurises.

Not so many petrol Aurises to choose from, but if we could we'd probably go for petrol if we can get a decent mileage one.

I think our biggest fear is buying something that something will go wrong with and not having the cash to put it right. We just loved our old Volvo! Probably heart ruling head here and we should go for the Auris as the sensible option!

Aurises or Avensis? you seem to mention both. And they are both Toyota car so just so you arent mixing things up in your own head.

I would have thought the S40 was significantly heavier and a little bigger than the Avensis.

If I recall the Volvo S40 is based on the Ford Focus platform and the Mazda 3 used it too so it is that size car and definitely not in the same size class as the Avensis. If your looking for cheap reliable motoring along with the Auris you could look at Kia Ceed and Hyundai I30 too perhaps.

H not keen on Hyundai but I was thinking of an i30 - they seem good enough to me. You're right about the S40 and Ford Focus, they are essentially the same engine for that age car. Apparently parts are not more expensive as a result.

H not keen on Hyundai but I was thinking of an i30 - they seem good enough to me.

We've had an i30 for the past 3 years and no problems. About to upgrade to an i40. We would do a mixture of short journeys around Dublin and the odd trip a few hours away to visit family. Did about 50-60,000 km in that 3 years and still really happy with the car, reflected in the decent trade-in offers we've gotten from car-dealers. €7000 is a modest budget for a decent car though. What year are you thinking of?

It is indeed quite modest but that's what we have. Might be able to push it up a bit if it meant something like a good bit lower mileage. We're looking at 2012 but concentrating more on mileage so we'd do 2011 too. Hoping to be in a better position next year or so - hoping to trade in or sell on for 4000 at that stage.

If you were looking for a reliable car for the long term, Toyota would be a good choice. My 17 year old Corolla is going strong, and has been reliable. I’m thinking of changing to an Auris or Hyundai i30 within the next year. I’ll also consider a Nissan Pulsar. My last car was a Nissan Sunny, which gave 18 trouble free years to my dad first, then me. Like you, I’ll be looking for a car with low mileage, up to 6 years old. But my budget can be bigger if required.

In relation to the S40 I see no reason to pay Volvo prices for what is a Ford Focus; just buy a Focus.
Toyota are very reliable but there's a reason that Hyundai are the best selling cars in Ireland. Kia are also excellent. Hyundai and Kia are pretty much the same company since Hyundai bought a controlling share when Kia went bust in 2007 so it's not just a case of sharing the same platform and drive train, many of their models are essentially the same cars.

So a Volvo S40 and a Focus are the same car, and Hyundai and Kia cars are the same? :rolleyes:

In some case they share the same chassis and power train but the electronics can be different and of course the body, quality of materials used etc. Of course some don't even change the body really and just stick a different badge on the bonnet.

Sure look at Audi / VW / Skoda / Seat - they share everything but are different all at the same time.

So a Volvo S40 and a Focus are the same car, and Hyundai and Kia cars are the same? :rolleyes:
The S40 and the Focus are close enough that the price difference is not justified. The Volvo has nicer seats but not much else.
Hyundai and Kia share the exact same engineering group who design a single platform for both brands. They have their own design groups for interior and exteriors so they are quite different. Therefore strip away the furniture and they are the same, a bit like the S40 and the Focus!

Back